Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, started opening up my 62 Chevy II seats to put on the new covers. They seemed pretty good until I got the covers off. The foam is basically worthless and at least needs a thin layer put over it. But since it's sort of ripping apart, I'm thinking it should just be completely replaced.

If anyone has any good photos of what they did, type of foam they used, or videos, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of wondering if my foam is really as bad as it looks.

I will try to take some photos tonight to post.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I bought new foam and seat covers for my VW bug from TMI. I also had to buy hogrings and hogring pliers but its pretty easy to do yourself. Warm up the seat covers in the dryer (on low) or set them out in the sun for a bit. Also, put a piece of burlap between the foam and the seat frames to protect the foam from getting messed up by the springs. Then put a grocery bag over the foam. The grocery bag will help the seat cover slip over the foam much easier and protect it a little. While you have everything apart, paint the seat frames. I had mine sand blasted but they were super old and had probably 3 layers of different color paint on them. I think TMI has a youtube channel that shows you everything I just described. Good luck, you got this!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
The seat covers themselves are not that hard to install if the seat frames are in good shape. Make sure you have plenty of hog rings and a good pair of hog ring plyers. lay the old foam out so you can get the proper size pattern. Look around your area for a place that sell foam. There are all kinds of vid. on the internet that shows step by step instruction on how to do both front and back seats interior including bucket seats. The foam can be cut and shaped by using a sharp electric carving knife.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks to all who have shared info; I just came across the old seats from my car that I want to recover myself as well. Glad to see there's still individuals out there who are self-motivated to get it done. :yes:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just another head's up on foam. Went to local fabric store. Found an employee who's husband works on old cars. She laughed when I started describing it and walked me over to the foam area and a material to replace the burlap.

Then she showed me how to download an app to get 50% off everything. So for the back seat bench, base layer, foam, then batting was $79 and 5 minutes from home.

Just FYI if anyone else is working on 62

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
to find the foam maybe look at a sewing store. we had custom cushions made for a bench in the house. i bought the foam 2'' an cut to size with an electric filet knife. an then took the foam to the custom shop to be covered. but it seems like they had 1 2 3'' thick. the sewing shop was called joann fabric.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes, that's where I got mine - Joann fabrics.

Here's a question - as I looked closer at the jute layer right on top of the springs - it has very very thin wire THRU the jute going the opposite direction of the springs. It is spaced about 1.5" spacing. It is not tied to springs. Does this need to be replicated? Based on videos, I don't see anyone doing this.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i bet the wires would make for a more comfortable feel on the a.. try the seat with out the covers with the wire an without the wire an make a call from that point. the longest i've road in my seats is an hour an 1/2 an at that point i'm ready to pull over some place to have a break.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My build thread has pictures and info on my seat rebuilds starting at post #42.

Amazon has 3/4" hog rings, zig zag springs and edge wire clips. I think I got my edge wire from an online upholstery supply, don't' remember where. I used classic industries for the foam (get new foam...it makes a huge difference)

The felt and burlap came from a local fabric shop as well as the sheet foam and batting for the back seats.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Buy twice as many hog rings as you think you need in case something has to be done over.

This is the video I watched before tackling it:

Here's my build thread:
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633465&page=2

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Here's a question - as I looked closer at the jute layer right on top of the springs - it has very very thin wire THRU the jute going the opposite direction of the springs. It is spaced about 1.5" spacing. It is not tied to springs. Does this need to be replicated? Based on videos, I don't see anyone doing this.
I left it out and doubled up the burlap. I believe it is there to spread the load across the zig zag springs.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Checkout the April 2019 issue of Chevy High Performance. They're rebuilding some seats and recommend using the reinforced burlap, (has the wire), for strength.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've replaced foam.

Local shop just quoted me $900 to put down some new foam, check spring ties, and put covers back on.

So I'm highly motivated to do this myself! Any help appreciated.
I've replaced foam. Get a basic auto upholstery book if it will help. But basically. I have removed all pad. If the purlap type base is bad, replace it. Then put a layer of 1/2 inch carpet pad. Then a layer of 1 inch foam. That should do it. If the 1 inch doesn't fill it out well add another 1/2 inch. Get a can of spray foam adhesive. You will also need hog rings for the burlap base and 1/2 inch carpet pad base. . Then spray glue the other on top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts