Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 62. The generator light stays on even when engine is off. I read it could be the alternator, or ignition. Replaced them both and same problem. When I replaced alternator light went off for a bit, thought it was fixed came back few hours later and battery was dead. Same thing with the ignition.

I was told since I switched to a single wire alternator that I could unplug the voltage regulator, done that and no juice going anywhere (battery was fully charged) plugged regulator back in and car started right up ,but same problem with gen light on with no key.

Could it be a bad regulator? Any suggestion or help would be much appreciated. Thank you

·
Vendor
2,184 Posts
The voltage regulator is not used on either the 1 wire or the "SI" 2 wire alternator conversions so I would start there. The regulator is removed and the wires at the voltage regulator then need to be jumped together or "disabled". Cannot remember the exact process, but that can be found online (or someone here may know). Super common conversion for GM vehicles in this period. American Autowire also makes simple kits for this.

Reactions: Mike1962

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The voltage regulator is not used on either the 1 wire or the "SI" 2 wire alternator conversions so I would start there. The regulator is removed and the wires at the voltage regulator then need to be jumped together or "disabled". Cannot remember the exact process, but that can be found online (or someone here may know). Super common conversion for GM vehicles in this period. American Autowire also makes simple kits for this.
Thank you so much for the info I’ll see what I can find about jumping together or disabling the regulator wires all together. Right now I have to unhook battery everytime I park it or battery will be dead in a few hours

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out mad electrical site on proper one wire set up, I think you’ll find that gen/alt light has no source of power, can’t/won’t light under any conditions when properly wired. Also, a very good explanation why NOT to use this set up as it greatly reduces the alternator output/ability to maintain charge in older vehicles.
Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have had a similar problem in my 63. I got a disconnect switch, put the key for it in the firewall, and everytime I park the car I take the key with me. No one can start the car and it is never dead. However, one time I found out that the glove box light would go on at night due to the glove box door not shutting all the way and leaving the little bulb to go on. It would drain the battery in a few days. Sneaky little cars.
"If I am in a car going the speed of light and I turn on my lights, would they be seen?" - Steven Wright

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out mad electrical site on proper one wire set up, I think you’ll find that gen/alt light has no source of power, can’t/won’t light under any conditions when properly wired. Also, a very good explanation why NOT to use this set up as it greatly reduces the alternator output/ability to maintain charge in older vehicles.
Good luck!
Thank you!! Read some articles on the site very helpful!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts