Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction to correct a generator ( that's what they still called it in 69 ) light that comes on while at idle but will go out when engine rpm increases. I installed a new AC Delco voltage regulator but didn't make a difference. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
6,520 Posts
I had an issue years ago with a 74 style alternator with the built in regulator and sometimes the indash GEN light was on and sometimes not. I thought it was the regulator inside and replaced it and for a while the light stayed off but then every once in a while it came back on. I again replaced the internal regulator (not knowing how to test) and again after a while the GEN light would come on. Thinking I did not have a defective regulator I dug into it deeper and finally figured out that on the stator wires it has multiple wires going to a crimped on ring terminal which then bolted to the regulator and the wire is a laquer covered solid core wire that when cleaned on the end and a crimp connector it attached it might not always make the best of connections and I found this out with an ohm meter and by moving the ring terminal on these wires it was crimped onto the resistance sometimes was very low or jumped up higher.
I then took the terminal off, cleaned the wire ends, crimped a new end on and then soldered the connection. After this I never had an issue with that alternator.
Sorry but no pictures as this was from back in the 80's when I did the work and never thought about documenting it that way.

Jim

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had an alternator that had fried diode, instead of all three phases of output, I only had two, so at idle it wouldn't keep the battery charged. Check your battery voltage with the car not running, then start the car and let it idle. Your voltage should be 1 or 2 volts above your non-running voltage. Typically 13.5 to 14.5 volts if your battery is around 12 volts when the car's not running.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Had the problem when working on a friends 66 GTO, he replaced the alternator, same issue. I suggested he replace the older points regulator with a solid state regulator and that corrected the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an alternator that had fried diode, instead of all three phases of output, I only had two, so at idle it wouldn't keep the battery charged. Check your battery voltage with the car not running, then start the car and let it idle. Your voltage should be 1 or 2 volts above your non-running voltage. Typically 13.5 to 14.5 volts if your battery is around 12 volts when the car's not running.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's okay, things get in the way but...what did you find? How did you resolve the GEN light coming on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, during all my electrical issues with my 68, when i turned the key to off position and the engine wouldnt stop, the dummy generator dash light came on and off as I turned the key off and to accessory. Only way it stopped was to stall it by popping the clutch. I'll keep you posted if changing the ignition switch fixes this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts