Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise!! Just bought an enclosed trailer,and I need to find out how big of a generator I need.The trailer has lights and (total of 6 ) 4 foot flourescent bulbs,other than that I will need to power a small battery charger and a radio,anything else I missed? In the future a nitrous bottle heater as well. I was wondering if an 1800 watt generator is enough or do I need 3000???? Give me your opinion and experience with your generators---thanks guys-

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Add up the watts of all the lights, the radio, the charger, and the bottle heater. That will be your minimum requirement. Then plan some extra for growth. If you have something like an A/C unit that will be powered by the generator, you will want to get a generator that will handle the MAX requirement for it. If the generator does not have enough output for the startup of the A/C unit, it will not start.

Randy (takes lots of juice to start them!!);)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with 72 GreenRally and don't forget you will want to add for outside trailer lights at 150-500 watts each, and a fan at say another 300-500 watts. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have a 4000 watt constant 5000 watt peak 8 HP Coleman generator with a Honda engine. It has a 5 gallon gas tank. It runs lights, battery charger, microwave oven, toaster oven, a 7500 BTU A/C unit, 48 inch fan and a 500 watt outside light, just not all at once........LOL. I also have a 1800 watt portable generator. It can run the lights and battery charger fine. When I use to use the A/C and microwave I used the smaller unit for the battery charger because it didn't charge well with the other loads on the bigger generator. The voltage would drop to 110 or lower with a big load. Personally I'd stay away from Techumseh and Briggs engines. They are loud and weak compared to the Robin, Onan and Honda engines. I bought this Honda powered Coleman in 1997 and have run the thing for 3 days straight many times. Only thing I've done to it is change the oil ( I run Mobil1 in it), air filter and plug. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
RM, you'd avoid the 2 oldest small engine makers in America?:rolleyes:

If sound is an issue, you will want to find the decibal output for the generators also. Hondas are pretty quiet, but when my Dad was looking, he ended up buying a Yamaha 3K generator. I'm not sure if it was THE quietest, but for the price, it was. It is a nice little unit. Most generator manufacturers will state the db output.

Randy (don't wanna hear th generator out in the woods!!):)

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Quiet is Better!

I used a Honda RV 6500 watt with the muffler under the trailer. Had enough to run important things in the house. Very high $:eek: I saw one under a Snap-On truck the other day. Had to give him crap about Made in America:D

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
The way we are told figure generator capacity in the Air Force is; add up the highest power draw of all the equipment to be powered, double that and and 10%. That gives you plenty of room to for requirements to expand as it always does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts