Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several months ago I swapped out the old alternator with a 140 amp internal regulated alternator and it was charging at 13.8, but recently my sons car began having trouble keeping a charge on the battery so I swapped out the battery for a new one. The car started fine for about 4 days and then began having trouble starting. I tested between the battery terminal without the car running and tested at 12.17. Between terminals with car running 12.7 I did notice that the GEN light was not on and cant get it to come on, bulb is good. I have power to the blue wire coming from the ignition. Any ideas?

My son does have a large stereo. I had the alternator checked and the shop said it was fine, so I am wondering if the GEN light has anything to do with this. Thanks for any help!!

Is there any way to test the generator light to make sure it is working? It originally worked.

·
6,498 Posts
I found this with a quick google search:

http://brianesser.com/technical-information/alternator-wiring-diagrams-and-information/

If the car originally had the wiring for an external regulator and then an internally regulated one was swapped in, is it possible the wiring change has a problem ?.

It's possible that with the stereo something might have vibrated apart.

Normally you want at least one volt over the battery voltage between the engine not running and then running but not anything much higher than 14 volts.

I just wonder if the alternator is not getting turned on.

I would also double check the grounds between the engine and the battery and between the engine or battery negative terminal and the body of the car. Hopefully if the stereo system has anything larger than an 8 gauge power wire that whomever installed it also upgraded the body to battery ground.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts