Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Huge probblem iv'e been lately..while driving, the radio will randomly cut out, and ill see the red gen light go on for a half a sec. it'll do this a couple of more time, then sometimes the radio will cut out and the light will go on for 10 sec or more, and the car will cut off...it will usually roll for about 10 sec and then then kick back on if i keep my foot on the pedal very lightly. ill hear a back fire once in a while, and sometimes, ill have to barley flick the ignition to start it back up while its rolling. its a really annoying problem, especially when your getting on the highway and it stalls while your merging. another problem that may or may not be related, is that when i start it up the starter will vibrate for 3 seconds after the car starts. sometimes it takes 2 or three tries to start it. i just recently changed the spark plugs, and im pretty sure all the gaps were spaced accordingly, but my 350 engine was from a junkyard car, and i have no documentation on what car it came from (it was done by the owner before the previous owner) the car is a 69 2 door nova that originally had a 307 but now it has a 350. im pretty sure it has a stock altenator. i just bought new streetfire wires too ill put them on today and see if that makes a dif.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Remote diagnostics is always so...... crystal ball, but here goes.

Sounds electrical, why? You say it backfires. Sounds like the engine turning as the car coasts and when ignition kicks in it ignites unburned gas in exhaust and pops/back fires. Also radio cutting out sounds electrical, key switch.

Also the starter vibrating? If old it may make a noise. Unless the key switch is sticky and not dis-engaging.

1. Check key switch, could be bad.

2. Check wire connections at firewall. Tight? corroded.

3. Good battery connections and ground wires? Ground wire from motor to body? Yes it is really needed and often forgotten on an engine swap.

4. Check ignition wiring, to coil/distributer. This would not explain the radio

5. Still points? Check points, and capacitor. Make sure points have the bolt that bolts the wires on, not the spring loaded thing to hold the wires. This would not explain the radio.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
A couple basic checks:

Load test your battery- make sure it is charged to 12v. If the battery cant take a charge replace it.

Check your alternator charging voltage (battery voltage with engine running). If it is lower than 13.5v you alternator is likely the culprit.

Check you ground and power connection resistance (with the battery unplugged).

Good luck- let us know what happens!

·
Registered
566 Posts
bad ground.

Start at the battery. Clean terminal. Then disconnect cable at engine block, clean, reconnect. Clean both ends of ground strap to body. Reconnect. Is that battery cable stock? factory original? REPLACE IT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts