Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car Info:
77 Nova Concours V8, 2-door coupe.
Issue:Car starts fine, but stalls out unless I keep my foot on the gas.

I know that the belts need to be replaced, but could it be the alternator or something else?

I drove the car home last night and it stalled once when pulling away from a stop sign (Gen light on). This morning I wanted to go out for a ride, but it stalled right after starting (Gen light on again)

Also, the belts haven't been changed because I don't know how to take off the old one. I have some automotive knowledge from high school, but have never had a project car before. I know it's a lot to take on, but I need to learn somehow. Thank you!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does the gen light come on when the engine is running or not until after it stalls? It is normal for the battery light or gen light to be on when the engine is not running because the battery voltage isn't as high as charging voltage. If the light stays off when the engine is running, and the only issue is that the engine won't idle, then you need to look into issues like carburetor, vacuum leaks, etc. which could affect driveability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for getting back to me. My brother helped me figure it out thankfully. We changed out the alt and got a new belt. It's running well now, letting it really warm up before giving it gas prevented the stall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts