Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up these photos a few years back when I was trying to find the correct windlace for my '65. The article I got them from said this was a cross section photo of the original and clearly shows that the pinch was located to the rear whereas the actual part of the windlace one would see is the other half. This made the windlace be rather large unlike the slip on thin stuff we see advertised today. If someone has come out with a thicker (heavy?) windlace, I'd like to know where it is and maybe even a part number.

IMG_4202.jpg
IMG_4203.jpg
IMG_4205.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're website didn't show anything for the Nova Sports Coupe.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
You will need to call them. They have a lot of stock and their website does not list everything. They can make interior items to order.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Riverboatman, I was just responding to Ford396 on this very topic.
GM Classics has this very windlace for sale by the foot. Part # 69109-3 then select colour.
I checked a small piece I had to be sure it matched what you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tacocaster, Thanks for the reply. I already have the 69109-3 windlace and unfortunately it's not
correct for the '65. Now, it might be correct for your year and model Nova but I'm pretty sure it is
not correct for the GEN I Novas. Here are the dimensions of that windlace.

69109-3 a.jpg

At one of the car shows that was in our area a few years ago, I saw the original windlace and it was
rather large. The owner assured me the windlace was what came on the car when he bought it new.
I have windlace from two different places and they are both smaller than what is original. Also, the
original windlace that would be located over the door and quarter window was designed differently
as it looks like that windlace protrudes out into the interior rather than flush with the pinch weld metal
where it would be attached.

Here is a photo of the original '65 windlace that I just found and it appears the top and door opening
windlace were different. In the following photo you can see down at the bottom left it shows a small
portion of the windlace that goes from the top at the quarter window and down to the sill place.
According to that photo, it appears that the originals were of two different designs. The top windlace
is offset but the door opening windlace is centered. Check out the photo and let me know what you think.

1965 NOVA WINDLACE - ORIGINAL C1.jpg

I bought 109-3 windlace a few years ago so the sellers could have changed the windlace associated
with their part number to be some that is closer to the originals. But, GMclassic still says up front that
their windlace is not original and is fit and function but not exact original design. All the sellers will
show their windlace but not a close-up and not a photo of the ends so we can see exactly what we
are buying. So, we have to rely on our guys here to show us some photos of what they have.

Hopefully, somebody has found a source for windlace that is better than what I've seen so far. The
GEN I Novas definitely had larger windlace. I'm not sure if this is the same for the GEN II. Here is the
link of the above photo showing the windlace on the hood of a Nova. It gives you a great perspective as
to the actual size of the GEN I windlace. I can't justify spending nearly $50 to buy them just to get
the measurements. Maybe one of you guys that is interested would buy them and pass along the
dimensions. 😄

I'd really like to see a photo of the originals mounted on a Nova with the measurements to solve the
mystery of the original windlace size and the offset. My photos were from the internet and were said
to be original but as usual, I wouldn't swear to it under oath. You know what I mean. You can see that
the "original" windlace I posted in the first part of this thread are at least a 1/2" taller and wider than what
the 69109-3 is. Also, in that photo, the newer piece that is showing is closer in width but there is no depth
measurement so to me it is still not the design of the original.

Let's solve this mystery so we can be looking for the right windlace for our cars.
Sam

Btw, any mistakes in grammar and spelling is not my fault....I'm an old dude living in the woods of S.E. Georgia!
UH......who said that.......who's there? o_O

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
I restored a '62 and I restored a '65. The '65 was necessarily more original than the '62, and though both are close, the '65 was much more so. The '62-'64 windlace is of one type, while the '65-'67 is the padded type you show. Just add it to the list of quirky '65 stuff that is about the transition to 2nd generation cars.

Never found the right kind new. So for years, any '65-'67 Nova I saw a being parted out or junked I looked at the windlace trim and if it was good, I snagged it. Since I restored my '65 years ago, I don't have any left, but have plenty for the 1st generation cars (no, the reproduction isn't exact for this type either). I'd get good used, cut it to size (much easier if you have a hardtop, I would think) and go that route. To match color, you have to carefully clean the trim, prime it with a special plastic primer, then use vinyl paint coded to the color. A PAIN, but if you want it right....

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I guess mine will never actually be "right". A couple of years ago I found a set that was fair with some scratches but the
owner wanted waaaaaaaay to much for what they were so I passed. I've been looking for years and never found any that were
good enough that I'd put them on my car. While I had this stuff out which I have already bought, I got my top end caps out and this actually
fits up into those end caps very tightly. So, if the end caps were made using original dimensions, which they were because I compared
them to my originals, then the original windlace that goes from the end caps down to the sill plates actually were smaller than the windlace
that goes up over the side windows. Ain't no way the large windlace would every fit into the end caps that is for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Posted the wrong info here. Deleted it.

Reactions: Tacocaster
1 - 9 of 9 Posts