Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
6,385 Posts
Yes the pics are gone! Image shack has decided not to host with out payment, there free service is now gone. I started paying they say to bad. So NO MORE IMAGE SHACK.

Give me a week or so I'll get it fixed.

Al
I had a webshots account years ago and then they decided to charge and I opted out.

I have been using a flickr account for a while and it seems to be working fine.

I know pictures are one thing and it would be more work, but maybe put them in a short video with a description before each still photo ?. I've done this a lot and put the info on youtube.

Jim

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes the pics are gone! Image shack has decided not to host with out payment, there free service is now gone. I started paying they say to bad. So NO MORE IMAGE SHACK.

Give me a week or so I'll get it fixed.

Al

Hello al, any luck getting those pictures and reposting?

·
6,385 Posts
Since there was a question about this recently, I put together some pictures and drawings of the terminal that needs to be removed to allow a new connector and wire to be put into the plug and run to the HEI.

This is a typical bulkhead connector taken apart. This would be the engine side of the plug that after the center bolt it loosened, the whole plugs comes off of the mating plug bolted onto the firewall:

One half of the above plug normally contains the front end wiring while the other plug normally has the engine wiring BUT since there are differences between the years, consult a good wiring diagram to find out which is which so you can identify what wire and terminal does what.

The engine side bulkhead connector normally has the male terminals in it. When they are inserted into the main housing with other wires, the terminal is stripped and the male terminal is crimped onto the wire and then a second crimp goes onto the insulation. While I've never seen a connector here soldered, a person could do that after crimping on the terminal to the wire.

This is the male bulkhead connector:

To remove an existing terminal so that a new one can be installed can be done by cutting the connector in the location shown and then once this is done, the locking tab portion of the connector is no longer holding the whole thing into the plastic housing so then the terminal can be pulled out from the backside (engine side where the wires come out on the housing).

Here is where you could take a good set of side cutters to cut the terminal apart:

Once it is cut apart, remove the portion cut off and throw it away.

Another option to not destroy the terminal is to get in there with a pair of needle nose type of pliers to bend the locking tab in and then at the same time, start pulling the wire and terminal out from the plastic housing. You just want to put enough pressure on the terminal to have the locking tab clear and not do damage to the terminal so that it can be reinserted and retain it's self locking design.

I also have to think that the connector has to be rotated properly so that when it is installed the male terminal is square to the housing and parallel to neighboring connector terminals.

An added benefit of the bulkhead connector is not all of the slots are normally used to where a person could add additional circuits to the car using the bulkhead connector to get wires from the interior to the engine bay and have a disconnect point should the car have to be taken apart.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for updating this with more pics as looks like i might need to do this.

When engines cool its good but then when racing down the strip afew times at full revs go mad and die off at 4700rpm and then when come to stopping engine dies on me and struggle to re start the thing. Is this a sign of what could be happening? not tried to feel how hot the coil is to be fair though.

Have a msd pro billet dizzy and a blaster coil but not resistor by looks of it from what can see anyway.

Cheers Phil

·
Registered
34 Posts

As can see in pic i have a yellow wire going towards the coil and then that goes straight to the firewall harness that mean need to get one put on?

61 - 68 of 68 Posts