Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Al, thanks for the reply. The car in question(62 convertible) belongs to my dad... He is not doing so good health wise... Trying to finish the car before his health diminishes any further... I have 64 that has been setup and wired for a v8. The engine harness appears to be the same in both vehicles... Do you know If they will simply swap out?? also the 64 is spliced in at the distributor, but the car runs great... Does the 64 have the same resistor wire??

Thanks again for your help

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Question for Big Al... if that pink wire is on the same terminal as the resistor wire and it is capped off, what voltage is on it ?
I can not answer about the pink wire, could be start bypass.

During starting the coil gets 12 volts. the pink wire could be that 12 volt supply.

It's a good bet, most bypass are yellow.

Al

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Al, thanks for the reply. The car in question(62 convertible) belongs to my dad... He is not doing so good health wise... Trying to finish the car before his health diminishes any further... I have 64 that has been setup and wired for a v8. The engine harness appears to be the same in both vehicles... Do you know If they will simply swap out?? also the 64 is spliced in at the distributor, but the car runs great... Does the 64 have the same resistor wire??

Thanks again for your help
I'm thinking 1st & 2nd gens came with the resister so the lead into the resister would be 12 volts already. It's the lead out that would be reduced to 9 volts.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Just did the upgrade. Without these pictures and the descriptions, that would have been a very difficult job. Working in the dark, so to speak. And the car started!! Even better.

Big Al you are great and thank you for taking the time to do this.

ray

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Is this just for HEI? What about when setting up for a 6AL box, with blaster coil and reg distributor?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I have the MSD box on mine. Did not use the HEI connector, but used the terminal for the firewall connector.

My box is the analog one so it may be more forgiving than the digital one. If you are putting the digital one in, I would do it for sure.

Not a hard task at all. I bought the connectors in a two pack at Alder Automotive here in White Rock.

ray

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
FIXED, pics where dropped by host and now are re hosted.

By- request

AL

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Resistor wire?

For those of us who know nothing about vehicle electrical systems, can someone explain why changing this wire is necessary? The reason given is "you need to replace the resistor wire", but that doesn't answer the question "why?".

Is the resistor wire too small to pass correct amount of current? Is its core material something that prevents current flow? Otherwise, splicing seems like it would work.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For those of us who know nothing about vehicle electrical systems, can someone explain why changing this wire is necessary? The reason given is "you need to replace the resistor wire", but that doesn't answer the question "why?".

Is the resistor wire too small to pass correct amount of current? Is its core material something that prevents current flow? Otherwise, splicing seems like it would work.
The resistor wire reduces voltage to the ignition coil, est 9 volts.

For the hei to work correctly it needs 11.2 -14.9 volts

Al

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great Post. I ran into this problem years ago when I switched to HEI. It took me a bit to figure out what the problem was.I only wish I had known about this beforehand, would have saved me about 20 hours of my life.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Resistor wire

With a HEI ignition you don't need a resistor wire,get rid of it,.A resistor wire cuts down the voltage to the original points ignition,which you no longer have. You need a 10 gage wire to produce enough voltage to your HEI so it will run right and not starve it to death from resistance. If you have to much resistance you won't have enough volts. Do the math from Ohms law

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
after reading this when originaly posted.i ran out and did my 1st gen.its the same procedure:yes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
With a HEI ignition you don't need a resistor wire,get rid of it,.A resistor wire cuts down the voltage to the original points ignition,which you no longer have. You need a 10 gage wire to produce enough voltage to your HEI so it will run right and not starve it to death from resistance. If you have to much resistance you won't have enough volts. Do the math from Ohms law
Your observation is exactly the point Big Al was trying to make. He was explaining the correct way to wire in the wire so it would not have the resistor in line so the electronic ignition or MSD box would get full voltage.

·
Registered
26,335 Posts
JUS' FINISHED DOIN' THIS TO THE VERT, HAD EVERYTHING BUT THE HEI CONNECTOR, FOUND ONE AT THE JUNK YARD AND :woot:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After completing this, can you then remove the "yellow" wire coming from the starter that connects to the coil?
maybe maybe not.

The way to check is, while the engine is cranking is the new power wire "hot"?
Check with a hot light.

If the power goes off while cranking the starter bypass needs to stay hooked up.

Hope this helps
Al

21 - 40 of 68 Posts