Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the most common mistakes when upgrading or Nova's from a point ignition to a GM HEI or any HP ignition system is not changing out the resistor wire so the HEI will receive the proper voltage needed to operate correctly.

I did this today on a GEN 3 so thought I would share.

This is not correct and what is mostly found.
A resistor wire with a pig tail for HEI power connection sliced in.
Not a good thing! :no::no::no::no:

First you need to remove the engine wiring harness from the firewall.
This will be located between the fender and brake master cylinder.
Power brake can make this aggravating to get to.

Remove the 3/8 bolt and pull the harness away from the firewall.

Notice how the harness will separate so you can remove only the engine part of the harness.

Now you have the harness removed from the vehicle, you need to remove the resistor wire & terminal from the terminal block. This is a easy, just trace the wire and lightly squeeze the terminal and push and pull it out from the back side.

Now we make up the new wire.
you will need 24'' of a quality 14ga stranded wire (I prefer red in color)
2 GM specialty terminals NAPA part number referenced.
Use a quality crimping tool.

It is also easy to remove the factoy alignment terminal housing used on the HEI. With a pin tool you remove the housing.

Make up the wire with the new terminals and plug them back into the harness terminal block and HEI terminal housing. Re-install the wiring harness and your set.

Terminal for dist.

terminal for factory harness

Installing the factory harness terminal is easy, just push it in. and make sure it is locked into place.

FYI
AL

PS: It took me more time to post and edit pics than do the work on the car!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just came from NAPA as I also need a few of these connectors.

They only showed two good numbers:

725145 & 725147

Apparently they only come in boxes of 50.

Who wants to go in on some?
Pm me, I will sell ya 2 terminals or make up the wire for you just to plug in.

Al

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
PM sent Al.

Are you familiar with the orange wires and clear fusible links with orange wiring near the horn relay area? Those wires in particular seem kinda soft and may need attention.

One last question: I meticulously cleaned my harness ends and adapters and have removed most of that gooey black stuff. I'm figuring its for water resistance, etc. What would be a good product to install in there as a sealant, if even necessary?

·
Registered
454 Posts
PM sent Al.
One last question: I meticulously cleaned my harness ends and adapters and have removed most of that gooey black stuff. I'm figuring its for water resistance, etc. What would be a good product to install in there as a sealant, if even necessary?
Jay , Dielectric grease would would work for water repellant/sealer.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Al,

In your pic showing the original white resistor wire, it looks like a thicker pink wire is going to that same terminal. Or my eyes deceiving me?

My wiring diagram shows the hot wire (coil / HEI) two spots across from the orange blower motor wire. My current harness already has a pink wire in that location (pink wire splits and runs to the electrical piece mounted on the column) Wondering if they both go to that same terminal at the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Al,

In your pic showing the original white resistor wire, it looks like a thicker pink wire is going to that same terminal. Or my eyes deceiving me?

My wiring diagram shows the hot wire (coil / HEI) two spots across from the orange blower motor wire. My current harness already has a pink wire in that location (pink wire splits and runs to the electrical piece mounted on the column) Wondering if they both go to that same terminal at the fuse box.

Don't know that answer. On the few cars I have done the wire is capped and wrapped in the harness. I just remove it.

Al

·
Registered
26,335 Posts
This is good stuff :good post: AL, :cool pics:

·
Registered
3 Posts
250 inline 6
I took the ingone out of 77 nova. It's in my 62 right now
The distributor and coil are separate but the coil is
Square (maybe coil pack is not the correct term)
Burns out every half hour... I have the wire spliced in
The way you specifically said not to... Lol

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
250 inline 6
I took the ingone out of 77 nova. It's in my 62 right now
The distributor and coil are separate but the coil is
Square (maybe coil pack is not the correct term)
Burns out every half hour... I have the wire spliced in
The way you specifically said not to... Lol

Need to eliminate the resistor wire, your coil is not getting correct voltage.

Al

·
Registered
491 Posts
Question for Big Al... if that pink wire is on the same terminal as the resistor wire and it is capped off, what voltage is on it ?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts