Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll,

Replacing the floor pans on my 70 Nova. Question on how to address the new floor pan flange where it meets the frame support and rocker. The original floor pan is spot welded between the rocker and frame support. Is it best to 1) bust loose the frame support, tuck in new floor pan, and weld like factory? Or, 2) leave the original welds that hold the frame support to rocker and cut away a small section of the new floor pan. It would be nice to keep the original positioning of the frame support for reference.

20200407_175424.jpg

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,337 Posts
I did each side but i cut the floor pan so I could retain the spot welded part on the flange since it was in good shape. You are already where your'e at so IMO I would good ahead and drill out the cross braces and tuck it in between without messing with the positioning of them and getting a good weld. You will need to support the body since the sub-frame is still in there. That would be the cleanest but I don't know what your'e after on your build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I prefer to do things "right" = factory or stronger, but realize some corners can be cut without compromising structural integrity. Building a street / strip vehicle: 500+hp. I want the body & frame to be solid and sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts