Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've poured thru SNS and can't find anything recent enough to be helpful... I need to order a 4 wheel disc brake kit for my 66, fairly soon. Who's got a recommendation or link, or even previous post to help a brutha out? I found a kit with Speedway for about $1200...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used CPP front Big Brake Kit on my 66, very happy with it. I got the 2" drop spindles with it also, 13" drilled and slotted rotors, dual piston calipers. I know they have the rear kits also, next on my list.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Lots of options out there. Alot of it depends on whether or not the how much the brakes offset the wheels and if they will clear the wheels you currently have. Many of the manufacturers brake systems are proprietary and yet others are based on a factory GM system. So, if you need to replace a warped rotor or change pads, do you need to buy the parts from that manufacturer or can you buy parts from the local parts supply? I have seen guys here on SNS try to identify which rotors or pads their system uses and many times its based on a Chevelle or G-body design. So, if you buy a kit, try to find out if the parts correspond to a GM product that you can get at the local store.

Another option is to do the LS brake conversion. In this setup you modify the stock spindle to use rotors, calipers and pads from a 98-02 camaro/firebird. This gives you a 12" "big brake" kit and parts are plentiful and easy to get. There is a write up here on SNS as well as other sites. Church boys racing sells the bracket to mount the LS caliper to the stock spindle after you modify them. Or, Kore3 brakes sells a bracket to mount the calipers without machining the stock spindle.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of options out there. Alot of it depends on whether or not the how much the brakes offset the wheels and if they will clear the wheels you currently have. Many of the manufacturers brake systems are proprietary and yet others are based on a factory GM system. So, if you need to replace a warped rotor or change pads, do you need to buy the parts from that manufacturer or can you buy parts from the local parts supply? I have seen guys here on SNS try to identify which rotors or pads their system uses and many times its based on a Chevelle or G-body design. So, if you buy a kit, try to find out if the parts correspond to a GM product that you can get at the local store.

Another option is to do the LS brake conversion. In this setup you modify the stock spindle to use rotors, calipers and pads from a 98-02 camaro/firebird. This gives you a 12" "big brake" kit and parts are plentiful and easy to get. There is a write up here on SNS as well as other sites. Church boys racing sells the bracket to mount the LS caliper to the stock spindle after you modify them. Or, Kore3 brakes sells a bracket to mount the calipers without machining the stock spindle.

Hope this helps
Very helpful, thanks. I've got a stock front sub and waiting for the CBR r&p front end goodies to arrive.
I wish these advertised kits would say what GM style pieces they're using. I wonder if buying a 98-02 Camaro kit, and then fabbing whatever I need to, would be the more simple route...

·
Registered
228 Posts
according to Chuck, there is minimal offset. Dont remember but maybe around 1/4". To fab up the ls brakes onto our cars, you basically do the following:

1. if you have drum brakes, you machine down the upper bolt mounting boss so that the CBR bracket bolts on flush
2. if you have disc brakes, the bracket may fit flush already or you may have to use the provided spacer.
3. Or you buy the Kore3 bracket which fits the spindle without having to machine them down.
4. buy the new LS rotors, have the center of the hub machined down to fit inside the new rotor hat
5. install longer wheel studs
6. bolt on bracket, mount rotor, mount caliper abutment and caliper with pads. Install new braided lines

Thats it in a nutshell. Your mileage may vary but for the most part, thats it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I went with the Corvette rotors because the calipers are supposed to be stronger and the cost difference was not that much. Here are a few pics.

·
Registered
122 Posts
you can go cheap as you want, or expensive as you want. choice is up to you.
I've seen cheap systems where all you bought was the Power Booster kit and a couple brackets to do an LS conversion from Junkyard Camaro/Firebird parts.
And then there are plug and play systems like Church Boys, etc.

It's up to you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking the ls swap is the more simple way to go. But instead of going junkyard, I'll get the parts from the local parts store. Kind of a practical compromise.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The LS brake swap is fairly straight forward. The offset difference is as stated above. The wheel mounting surface is effected by the difference in thickness of the rotor hat vs. the drum faces. Roughly 3/16” vs. 1/8”. You will need to go to 17” wheels to clear the calipers. The drum brake bearing hub will need to be turned down to fit inside the Camaro LS rotor hat. The drum brake spindles will need to have the upper wheel cylinder mounting boss machined down and then the caliper mounting bracket can be bolted to the spindles. This adapts the spindle to mate with the LS caliper abutment bracket. I don’t believe you can buy the caliper abutment bracket so a donor will need to be acquired.. Otherwise, the calipers, rotors, and pads are off the shelf parts available at the local parts house.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The LS brake swap is fairly straight forward. The offset difference is as stated above. The wheel mounting surface is effected by the difference in thickness of the rotor hat vs. the drum faces. Roughly 3/16” vs. 1/8”. You will need to go to 17” wheels to clear the calipers. The drum brake bearing hub will need to be turned down to fit inside the Camaro LS rotor hat. The drum brake spindles will need to have the upper wheel cylinder mounting boss machined down and then the caliper mounting bracket can be bolted to the spindles. This adapts the spindle to mate with the LS caliper abutment bracket. I don’t believe you can buy the caliper abutment bracket so a donor will need to be acquired.. Otherwise, the calipers, rotors, and pads are off the shelf parts available at the local parts house.
Thanks Thug. You're always good for info.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wilwood has several front brake kits that bolt-on. I got a great deal on a 6 piston black caliper, big rotor kit.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I've gathered, if I run 11 inch brakes on the rear, I can use a 15 inch wheel. I'm planning on running 17's all the way around. BUT, there's a decent chance that I'll take the car to the drag strip on occasion, and I'd really like to have drag radials mounted on spare wheels. Unless tire technology has changed in the past 20 years, and you can get a car to hook using a low profile street tire, I'm going to have to go this route.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
228 Posts
As with alot of us, all depends on how much money we can spend on the intended purpose. Around here, pull-your-parts places have become ridiculously high ever since LKQ took them over. I went to the yard, pulled abutment brackets, rotors and caliper. The total with them was only $25.00 less than buying brand new at the parts store. He'll, I could've ordered online and had brand new delivered to my door for not much more.

Also, the abutment brackets are sold new, I just can't remember the part number, I'll see if I can find it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts