Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gen 1 cluster and gauges

I want to run a fully functional cluster and also a separate set of oil and temp gauges. So,

1. For the Temp, what would be the best way to connect the cluster gauge and the separate temp gauge? Do I need to run two sensors, or can I connect both to the same one?

2. For the oil press, I think it would be easiest to run a T fitting. If this is you all’s recommendation, I was thinking a 1/8”npt x compression x compression. Unless someone has a better idea or recommendation?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
406 Posts
You could run the OEM temp sensor in the stock location and another temp sensor in the water neck? Im running a complete set of aftermarket (speedhut) gauges and don't have any stock gauges but Im running my oil pressure sensor at the back of the motor under the distributor, and the water temp sensor at the front of the motor on the intake manifold. A T-fitting could work (if you have the room) but the temp sensor might not be accurate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I may just get a used temp gauge and T off the existing wire for the stock gauge. And see if its accurate before purchasing new one.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll do the same for the temp sensor. I prefer my numeric temp gauge for accuracy over the cluster needle indicator. The only reason I want it to function is becuase it's one of PRONOVA's Super Clusters...and it wasn't cheap, but well worth the money. As for the oil press, I'm not running a sensor so I think I should be ok with a T

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
Sacrilege!

But if you feel you must run additional oil pressure and water temps gauges in addition to the Supercar Gauge cluster I would recommend going mechanical on both.

Mechanical oil pressure gauge just requires a "T" since the Supercar (GM) oil pressure gauge is also mechanical.

The impedance of the Chevy II water temp sending unit is incorrect for modern gauges so you will either need to use a second sending unit or go with a mechanical water temp gauge. Mechanical is more accurate.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have a couple of different outlets for different things on my car. I used water temperature outlets on the intake and head for my gauge cluster and fuel injection monitors. For the different oil fittings you could always use the one right behind the intake for your gauge cluster and the outlet above your oil filter for your manual gauge. If I was going to add separate gauges I would also run manual gauges. I was very surprised how close my two temperature outlets were to each other.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I fund this fitting on eBay. I can’t believe how difficult it can be to find a 1/8 npt T. Now I have a separate mech gauge along with the super nice super car cluster.
Did you have to remove the intake to install it? Looks very close to it? :confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
cluster and Guaged

Don't put any guage in the water neck. If the thermostat sticks, the guage may not read due to insufficent flow. Better to put it in the right (passenger) head, in addition to the stock in the Left (driver's side).

A "T" should be sufficent for oil pressure.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't put any guage in the water neck. If the thermostat sticks, the guage may not read due to insufficent flow. Better to put it in the right (passenger) head, in addition to the stock in the Left (driver's side).

A "T" should be sufficent for oil pressure.
That is another issue I’m running accross. I’m running old skool fuelie heads that don’t have any ports for temp sensor. I have my mechanical temp gauge connected at the intake. I’m thinking of running the cluster gauge on the waterneck. If the t-stat fails I at least still have the more dependent mechanical gauge. I know....dilema dilema:eek:

Thank you for the info. I am on another screen ordering it :yes:
. Previously I ordered this piece that looked a bit nicer, but one of the ports wasn’t taking in the 1/8 npt threads.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts