Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there running 3.73s or 3.90s with a 3000 stall ? What do you perfer out of the too freeway isn’t going to be seen much with my nova but what do you guys prefer out of the 2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running 3.73's, but with a 3500 stall in my 72 behind a mild small block. To me its a great all around gear. The 3.90 should give you a little more grunt, but I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between the 2.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree, not much difference between 3.73 and a 3.90. I would base your choice on tire size and what you're going to do with the car. If you're running a tall tire, with say, a 28 inch diameter, and you never drive on highway, I would want the 3.90 or taller gear. If you occasionally drive on the e-way and have a 24 inch tall tire, then 3.73 or less would be good. Google a gear/trans/rpm calculator or just do the math to figure out what rpm you will see at various speeds and compare.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gott 255 60 15 Mickey Thompson drag radials going on it’s a little over 550hp 383 it’s pretty healthy plan on being a street strip car but the way motor has been set up it’s leaned more towards strip but would like to be able to drive to car shows once in a while starting to lean towards 3.73s. Reguardless it’s going to tach a lot anywhere I go but little less on the rpm while driving the happier I’ll be possible so will the gas tank
I agree, not much difference between 3.73 and a 3.90. I would base your choice on tire size and what you're going to do with the car. If you're running a tall tire, with say, a 28 inch diameter, and you never drive on highway, I would want the 3.90 or taller gear. If you occasionally drive on the e-way and have a 24 inch tall tire, then 3.73 or less would be good. Google a gear/trans/rpm calculator or just do the math to figure out what rpm you will see at various speeds and compare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts