Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what gears to put in the Nova. Right now it's got 4:10's, TH400, 3500 stall, M/T 31x16.50 ET Streets. I an wanting to go to higher gear because all i do is drive the car on the street. I was thinking about going with 3:55's. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Rich.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
That seems like a pretty tall tire. I'm running 3.73's with a 26.5 inch tall tire. Not good on the freeway, but around town it's fine. 3.55's with that tall of a tire may be higher gearing than you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
That should get you about 65 mph at 2500 rpm; does the engine make decent torque that low?
It would be close to running 3.08's with a 27" tire, which isn't going to be a great drag strip gear, but with a blower it should be ok.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That should get you about 65 mph at 2500 rpm; does the engine make decent torque that low?
It would be close to running 3.08's with a 27" tire, which isn't going to be a great drag strip gear, but with a blower it should be ok.
The engine makes good torque down low so that's not really a problem. I think the problem that I will have is if I decide to change gears I probably have a series 4 carrier and can't go below a 4:10, correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts