Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so ive had my 62 to the track twice now. just built the car and motor.
sbc
28" tire
5.14 gear
7900 through the traps
11.06 @ 121
what gear are most of you guys running in a 3180# car
i think im going to take it to the dyno next week and try to see where its making power. and mess with the timing a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I run 4.30's and usually run 1/8 mile. Back in 1999 my old iron headed 406 ran 10.98 with 4.56's; after switching to 3.73's for the Power Tour, it ran 10.81. I don't know anyone that runs the gear you have unless it's a tiny engine in a heavy car.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I run 4.30's and usually run 1/8 mile. Back in 1999 my old iron headed 406 ran 10.98 with 4.56's; after switching to 3.73's for the Power Tour, it ran 10.81. I don't know anyone that runs the gear you have unless it's a tiny engine in a heavy car.
Where do you race with a gear like that, Bonneville?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
364 sbc
12.5:1
high 270 dur at .050
~.640 lift
106 lsa
th-350
5200 converter

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
if it wuz me ,,

with that cam, compression and engine size ,, i'd say the engine likes to go to right around where its coming across the stripe. But you may not be extracting the torque out of the engine cuz the gear is helping it. That may not make sense to some , i'm sure somebody with a slide rule and full knowledge of how to use it will chime in any sec now. But thats how it seems to work to me.

What is the intake/carb combo ur using ??

Is the engine still pulling at the stripe , or has it got lazy ?? I think thats the best thing to consider. If you could borrow a 29.5 or 30 inch set of tires , and see if the car picks up would be nice. The extra circumference of the taller tires will act in a way to take away some of the gear now slightly , so you would know which way to go.

I like big gears myself. Super stock cars with similar combos ( back when i used to keep up with it anyway ) with a glide but with 32" tires would prolly run a 586 or 614 with that combo.

I be it sounds good buzzing 7900 through the traps :devil:

Kudos on the 364 , used to be several around here

a car with a turbo takes different consideration as far as rear gear goes compared to a glide IMO. I think you have to think about the different sections of the track where the car needs the gear. A glide usually needs more at take off and will pull first gear longer due to its numerically lower first gear ratio so it needs more in the rearend to get the car through the initial phase of the pass and on down the track because its going to get hit with high gear earlier too . A turbo will cycle through first gear more rapidly and onto 2nd so the transmission is helping the car accelerate more than the glide but it still has to pull high gear all the way to the stripe. Usually the best possible senario would be that the car " noses over " just before it gets to the stripe. Then you've extracted everything from the engine possible and its no longer accelerating but now the pass is over.

If you want the best from your car , i'd say its going to take a couple gear swaps to really nail it down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
team g
750 proform

the only other question i have is, im running a holley blue with the cheep reg.
it took this setup 38 sec. to fill up 1 gal. according to what i read im way off. i guess what im asking is, if i checked the plugs right after a pass and they look good, which they did... could the system still not be flowing enough? it dosent make sense to me if the car is running good, plugs dont look lean how could it not be flowing enough? any one got a good answer. thanks

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
hmm

how old is this pump ?? where is the pump located ?? and whats the diameter of the fuel line leading to and from the pump ??? filter anywhere ?? exactly what regulator and what pressure is it set ??? The blue pump is rated at 110 gph , thats 1.8 gallons a minute but i wonder what pressure its rated to flow 110gph ?? If you had an open line , seemingly your pump should have moved more fuel. That might be one to call the Holley tech line on.

I've never ran a proform carb , but i was just at a dyno session at my friends shop , it was a 383 with a BG 750 , 14-1, 272/278 @.050 on 108 separation , it started falling off at 6500 and the fuel flow started going nutty , I think the 750 had hit critical mass and was stalled out myself. This was the only carb he brought to try so , they're stuck with those results. This combo isn't exactly like yours , but somewhat close , so i'd try an 850 i think and see how it does or maybe play with some carb spacers

·
Registered
562 Posts
i guess i dont know exactly what your wanting. i looked at the power speed calculator. your combo is like you read it off the slide. it says you go 121 at 7900 rpm with 28 inch tire, 11.1 et, 7.9 weight to power ratio, 410 horsepower to ground, i guess if you dyno it find out the power curve and i can look at the best gear for the car. you want to go through the traps 500 rpm or so past were your making peak power. this is what i was taught some with more experience might say otherwise .hope this helps

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've never ran a proform carb , but i was just at a dyno session at my friends shop , it was a 383 with a BG 750 , 14-1, 272/278 @.050 on 108 separation , it started falling off at 6500 and the fuel flow started going nutty , I think the 750 had hit critical mass and was stalled out myself. This was the only carb he brought to try so , they're stuck with those results. This combo isn't exactly like yours , but somewhat close , so i'd try an 850 i think and see how it does or maybe play with some carb spacers

BINGO!

That engine is VERY similar to my 383. Mine would fall flat after 5500. Switched to the soft progressive linkage 1050 dominator and it woke up big time. As a matter of fact I am going to be sending my dominator to pro-systems to have it modified to be more street friendly (idle circuit is designed for WOT on dominators so it fouls plugs on the street) and have it custom built to suit my engine better. Pat says it is NOT to big for my 383. He said that after I told him a bunch of people kept saying it was to big. He just laughed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
your are on the money. i have 4 friends all small block power in the 10s and 9s running 1050 dominators. dont listen to all the old timers say small blocks only need 650 or 750. the heads now days flow just as much and more than the old race stuff for big blocks.. the dyno session will tell all.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
We put a 750 vac. sec. on my 410" SBC in Dale's Dart to tame it down a little, and it still shoots past 7000 with no problem. It is just a stock out of the box Street H.P. carb in place of the usual 975 Demon RS.
The size of the carb isn't much of an RPM limiter if it's working properly. It will limit the amount of power you can make, but it should still spin to whatever the engine parts will allow.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you have a fuel pressure gauge on it that is visible you can tell if the pump is enough. If the fuel pressure drops on the big end, not enough fuel.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
so ive had my 62 to the track twice now. just built the car and motor.
sbc
28" tire
5.14 gear
7900 through the traps
11.06 @ 121
what gear are most of you guys running in a 3180# car
i think im going to take it to the dyno next week and try to see where its making power. and mess with the timing a bit.
I have 4.10. Had 4.56, too peaky and lost MPH. At that time, the car was 2950# dry. I'd say you've got more mph on the table 2-3 maybe. How much wheel spin do you get and how are you launching?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
BINGO!

That engine is VERY similar to my 383. Mine would fall flat after 5500. Switched to the soft progressive linkage 1050 dominator and it woke up big time. As a matter of fact I am going to be sending my dominator to pro-systems to have it modified to be more street friendly (idle circuit is designed for WOT on dominators so it fouls plugs on the street) and have it custom built to suit my engine better. Pat says it is NOT to big for my 383. He said that after I told him a bunch of people kept saying it was to big. He just laughed.
My APD HP750 pulls all the way through the traps with no problem on my nasty little 383. I would say there's more to it than just the carb.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
link

here is a link to calculate some conversions for rpm , mph and gear ratios. I plugged in 4.88 gear and 125 mph ,,, cuz i figure it might pick up some mph if you did that ,,,, it says you'd be winding 7320 with no converter slip ,, the way your car is now is 7449 with no slip. Looks like your converter slip is around 5.8 %. Sooo ,,, i figure , if you dropped to a 488 , at 125 mph, you should be turning about 7744 rpm

What rpm would you like to cross the line ???

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/calculators.aspx#?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts