Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

This pattern is telling me I need to put a thinner pinion shim in, correct. I started off with a .030", what should I try now? Is there a way to test it without ruining the crush sleeve everytime?

thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
55 Posts
It looks like to me you need a thicker shim, try a .035 and see how far it goes.
When I am setting a pattern I do not install a crush sleeve or seal, use the old nut if you have it, and snug the nut down untill it takes 25 inch pounds of torque to turn the pinion, then check your pattern. if it is good, tear it back down, clean it up and prelube the bearings, reassemble with the seal and crush sleeve. The job of the crush sleeve is to keep tension on the nut so it stays tight, you dont need it to hold pre load when checking patterns. I dont use crush sleeves, I use a solid spacer with shims to set bearing pre load.

Mike

·
4,534 Posts
What brand gears and what type of diff? This will help in getting you closer in shimming. If it's and 8.5 they like around .038-.040 in most cases with .007-.009 of lash. The beam type is better. If no inch pound torque wrench in avail. Just preload it like you would a front wheel bearing. No in and out play and turns with slight amount of drag.

Miles:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts