Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie, and new owner of a 1970 nova. I bought this car pretty done up, and plan to build it bigger and better. It has a 350 with all the main add ons.( small cam, manifold,headers,carb, water pump ,be cool radiator, intake, transmission cooler). It has a 400 transmission. I've read through the other threads and am still in the air on what to do with the stock rear end? It looks like I have the 7.5 differential. Right now I can burn through first and a little through second ( around stock tire size). I'm not going to race the track but I want to build it that way! If I went with a 3.08 or 3.55 gears wouldnt be just going through tires? Or what gear ratio would you guys recommend for some good all around power? I don't need to go on the highway but I would like to hit 100 mph here and there!

New to hot rods and already learned a lot from you guys! Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm the third owner of this car the first owner was building for the drags. It's fully caged and NHRA licensed. Parachutte mounted in the rear! He had a big motor he was going to drop in but something happen to him the guy I got it from did not tell me much. In the pic on the site you showed me( thanks) it has the 2 curved arrows coming off of it , but it does have 10 bolts. It dosnt have the same cover with the horizontal crease in it. Could it be the 8.5?

·
14,600 Posts
The 8.5 has the tabs/ears on each side of the bottom. Look at the bottom of the covers on the 8.2 and 8.5 and you will see the difference.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I went with 3.73 as a compromise gear for street/strip. It's about as high as I'd go for a car that is primarily street driven that sees a little highway time here and there.

I pass through the traps at 111 mph and I'm turning about 5400 RPM. Going 60-65 mph on the highway I'm turning around 3000 RPM. Cruising around town I'm usually around 2000 RPM. This is all with a 27" tall tire.

If it was an all out drag car I'd probably toss in some 4.10's and still be below my redline passing through the traps but get a better launch out of the hole. But I drive my car on the street 95% of the time, so I didnt want that much gear in the back.

If you're after performance I wouldn't go with anything lower than a 3.55. But a 3.42, 3.55, or 3.73 gear would all be good choices for a street car with some power. Once you get into the 4.10 or above range you'll really be screaming while driving around. Depending on what you like, that might be cool, or it might get to be old stuff after a while.

Not sure what kind of rear end I have, probably an 8.2, its just the stock 10 bolt with some aftermarket axles. It's held up fine so far with a 450 hp 383 in front of it.

·
4,560 Posts
Id say 8.2 from that pic as well. As far as gearing goes I would say between 3.36 & 3.55 for the power you are running.

Miles

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have 4.11s in my car. at 60mph i am reving 3000rpm but i also have 29" rear tired :)

on the strip its great!

Driving around town is not that bad either but i may put the 3.73s i have on the shelf in. they are more streetable

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
Not sure what kind of rear end I have, probably an 8.2, its just the stock 10 bolt with some aftermarket axles. It's held up fine so far with a 450 hp 383 in front of it.
That would be an 8.5 if it is the one that came in the car.:yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts