Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has smallish rear tires, with a healthy 355ci and the 700r4 the car runs at about 1900-200 rpm at 70mph, it's just a little low, the rear end is out of a 65... Unsure of ratio, would a 3.55-3.73 gear be too much with the 205's?

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
No.

I run 4.30's or 4.86's but I also run a 31" tall tire.

That's the nice thing about overdrive, you can run a tall gear and not hurt fuel economy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll measure tire height and pull the cover and count teeth,
It's just a goof around car so I may run a little lower gear set for the seat of the pants fun factor!!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try this- http://project33.com/tiresize.cfm

Buy your figures, it looks like you are running around 3:00 ratio.
With 3:55 gears it looks like you'll be doing about 2385 RPM in 4th gear with a 700r4 at 70 mph with your tire combination.
Wasn't 3.08 a standard ratio for a nova in 65? That would sound about right!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the calc it looks like a 3.42 would work out good, not too Low and will still purr on the freeway!!!!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i'll be running a 3:36 rear gear with my 700r4 in my '64 Moordoor... i plan on running 205/17's all around. ;)

i have a TKO600 in my '64 Sedan with a 3:73 gear... it's beautiful on the Hwy and a screamer on the street. the Moordoor is more of a Cruiser/Daily-Driver with a little more fuel economy in mind...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll be running a 3:36 rear gear with my 700r4 in my '64 Moordoor... i plan on running 205/17's all around. ;)

i have a TKO600 in my '64 Sedan with a 3:73 gear... it's beautiful on the Hwy and a screamer on the street. the Moordoor is more of a Cruiser/Daily-Driver with a little more fuel economy in mind...
Thanks Flyer, I was really just lookin for an idea of what people are running,
I'll prob get a 3.36 or a 3.42 Should be pretty good either way,,,

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
exactly... that's why i POSTed. ;)

just my opinion, but if it has a healthy engine and you enjoy the power and really want the best of both worlds i think the 3:73's or even a 4:11 would be the hot ticket for ya... 1st through 3rd would be amazing and then when it kicks into OD the RPM's drop and that mean, nasty engine calms down and now you're in "Cruise Mode" :yes:

starting to get nasty weatherwise but maybe you can find someone in your area with the basic HP rating on engines with the same trans that maybe will take you for a ride... i'm up near Palmdale, i'd be happy to take ya for a run with the Flyer... give ya a 1st hand with what my package is if that would help ya...

again, i think with the OD tranny you can really have the best of everything. :yes:

let me know if i can in any way help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have a 355' - which I would say has some fun factor in it:yes::yes: - I have been running a 3:73 with a 225/65(? or 60)/15 tire and the 700R4 - I'm at about 2500 RPM on the Fwy at 70 - It is a scream on the street - hit it hard and stay in it and the old peg leg will just burn up the one tire... It will even chirp the tire shifting into 3rd....

Normal driving and I'm into OD at 42/43 MPH - shift from first to second is about 3/4 of the way through an interesection if I start at the cross walk.. a bit too soon for my liking.

I've been looking for a little more Hwy cruise friendly gear - thinking about the 3:55 or 3:42 - which ever it would be for an 8.2" - plus a POSI.

With what ever you do - be sure to check your spacing if you go to a taller tire - 225 / 235 is about as much as you will get without some mods...

FYI - I'm in Yorba Linda if you want a ride.. - my name is Greg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks fellas, very cool of you too offer up a test ride, I'm just getting into the nova, I would be stoked to check out your cars..
Just to really see what these little rippers are all about..
I think I have a solid start to a fun street car, but there's things that I just don't know...

Thanks again
Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it possible to post pics from a iPhone right to the thread?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've got a 700 and 308 gears with 225/50-15s and would like a little taller gear (it shifts into OD at 35-40 mph) no tach,I was thinking about 225/60s or even 215/65s on the same rims.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts