Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any nova heads out there running any type of gear drive? such as summits gear drive or pete jackson.....or the more expensive milodon drives.i really love the whining sound but wanted to know if its worth the trouble installing in something such as a mild smallblock.the car will see some daily driving and a little racing on the weekend.90/10

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow really?hmmmm thanks for the input .i guess just the faithful double roller huh? so tell me this......what is the difference between a double roller and a true roller?

·
Registered
566 Posts
unless you go to a crank trigger, it's no advantage. Just extra noise, which you will ( belive me ) get tired of quicker than you expect.

The timing chain will absorb harmonics, which gears pass on to the distributor, and the erratic timing just compounds the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The Pete Jackson gear drives are noisey and if you're driving the car daily it will probably get on your nerves. I had a buddy who had one in his V8 chevy luv and it was cool but just got old after a while. I have one I'm gonna use just for S&G's cuz its there.

I have seen some guys use the milidon one and they hardly make noisey but the idler bearing gets beat up and can go bad and cause havoc.

Hey dare to be different!!!:D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
What in the world does a timing gear and noise have to do with adjusting valves? The timing gear or a chain has nothing ot do with the valvetrain set up or lifter preload.

:confused:???:confused:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I ran a Pete Jackson in my old 283. The noise never bothered me, but the vibration it caused did. Finally took it out to get rid of the vibration. I talked with several people who had them and they all said the same thing about the vibration.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you still want one, PM me. I bought a shortblock with 12,000 miles on it and it has the Pete Jackson gear drive on it. I'm putting a roller on it so I have no use for the gear drive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts