Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The general consensus seems to be: if you're gonna go with a gear drive, get one with a single idler like Milodon. These are twice the price of the Pete Jackson units.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I ran one in my smallblock for 2 years at the strip and on the street without any problems...In fact i installed it in my sons car the other day....Its a pete jackson

·
Registered
261 Posts
My engine builder made me get rid of my Pete Jackson. Said it transfers too much vibration to the cam. I burned up a cam because of it, from what he says. Big block

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Don't like 'em. They transmit harmful harmonics directly from the crank into the valvetrain.

They can also bind in between the cam and crank.....:puke: Something has to give....:eek: That was on a HIGH winding roundy-round motor.

Valve spring life is reduced.:yes:

Broken pushrods are common.:yes:

The noise is annoying to most and sounds NOTHING like a blower like some people claim.

Just got a good chain set with billet gears and call it a day.:yes:

If you want the BEST, look at the different belt drives available. Comp's even got a "Wet" belt that goes under your stock timing cover that's around $375-$400..:yes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
:yes:I had a set of Pete Jackson gears in my truck for two years and then transfered them into a tuned port camaro for another 3 years. Never had any problems with them. I liked the noise. Just my opinion. Would use again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do Nascar motors use them? 6 cylinders use them but they don't rev like a V-8. Grumpy Jenkins used a nylon gear timing chain setup in his old Pro Stock motors. Not sure about the harmonics part but everything I have read says no power gain. I think it just comes down to wanting the sound (or not).

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the good ones are only better than a chain for the sake of precision with timing. since timing belts are better still, there's not much point except the sound (of which i'm not a fan)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do Nascar motors use them? 6 cylinders use them but they don't rev like a V-8. Grumpy Jenkins used a nylon gear timing chain setup in his old Pro Stock motors. Not sure about the harmonics part but everything I have read says no power gain. I think it just comes down to wanting the sound (or not).
If anything, a gear drive would waste more energy than a chain and sprocket. The chain and sprocket is one of the most (if not the most) efficient ways to transmit power.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am on my third motor with a gear drive.One sbc I built in 90, the second was the bbc I just pulled out last fall and was built in 95. the last one is the current one in the nova now. I have never had any ttrouble with any of them. But the first 2 were Summers bros, and the last one was a milodon only because Summersbros were closed for a couple of months for restructuring or something like that. There is no chain slop in a properly done gear drive, therefore timing is deadnuts on. I did consider a belt setup when I found out Summers bros was closed but bought the milodon instead. Don't think I would buy another milodon though, as they are a lot harder to setup. A lot of people I know are having problems with chain stretch with bigger cams so they are switching to belt drives. Just my 2$ worth

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm not sold on the precision timing thing. The valve springs put so much load on the camshaft that it has to be dragged around by the crankshaft so where does the slop come from? I can't see the cam ever trying to spin faster than the crank.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know guys that have them in super comp dragsters with big blocks and they work good. Just because its a gear drive doesn't mean they will be noisy. Thats an option you can choose. My uncle bought one and we installed it and it sounded like a rod was getting ready to come through the block. We bought a melling timing chain from napa and that solved the issue. Depends i guess on your preference. They still make and sell them so people are buying them!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Personal experience, you'll get sick of the noise if you buy a noisy one for the look at me factor. If not why even bother, chains have worked for a lot of years. If it's accuracy you're looking for, give it a belt.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm not sold on the precision timing thing. The valve springs put so much load on the camshaft that it has to be dragged around by the crankshaft so where does the slop come from? I can't see the cam ever trying to spin faster than the crank.
I imagine the slop, however minimal it is, comes from distance variations between the rollers. BTW, I'm not referring to stretch here.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
The timing from a gear drive is more precise than a chain when accelerating. They are stronger too. The downsides of a gear drive is of course the obnoxious noise they produce plus there is the backlash that all gear sets have to some extent.

Belt drive is the ultimate. Ultra-precise timing plus they are quiet. Quick and easy adjustability too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I am installing a Hampton 671 this summer on my small block. I am going to look into the belt drive, but will most likely go with a true roller double roller chain set. I have a gear drive in the motor now and i am already getting tired of the noise already :puke:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
The only gear drive I like is the fixed Idler... or the reverse grind style.... I have never cared for the floating idler types... there is to much movement in the floating types for my liking.....

there is a wet belt and a dry belt option from Jessel..... look at the wet belt for a street car...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I ran a Pete Jackson Gear drive. I had valve train problems. The ends of two push rods broke up. By the time I realized I had a problem it was too late. Could not hear the clicking of the rocker arms because of the GEAR DRIVE NOISE, so the problem went from BAD to worst. The metal from the broken push rods froze up the oil pump. Had to find another ENGINE.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts