Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about putting in a pete jackson gear drive anybody running a gear drive? what do you all need to install one thanks Nate

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
i had one...loved the noise. took it out to find out why the motor was making a wierd noise (not the gear drive noise...duh)...come to find out, bearing in the alternator was screaming, but couldnt tell with that noise PJ geardrive....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had one on my 327 and liked it alot. I heard from a few people after i put my new motor in that a gear drive can cause up to a 10hp loss because of the drag in the valve train that the gears cause, not sure if this is true though:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
I had one in my 406 and loved the way it sounded.

THE PROBLEM:
The gear drive was shredding into the block leaving metal in the motor. I had to completely machine the 406 to feel safe + you can't hear when you have motor issues. Needless to say....it came out and never went back in.

I gave it to a friend who insisted to install it in his engine. Needless to say....it did the same damn thing to him. He caught it within a 50 miles only becuase I insisted he at least check it. Lucky his motor didn't suffer like mine did .....but it came out and went into the garbage can.

Not trying to rain on your parade.:D Just trying to share my experiences.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
nate_104_98 said:
Yeah I have been hearing mixed opinions on them No Im starting to wonder if it is a bad Idea. Nate
I would just ask some more opinions about it. I don't know if some blocks require trimming/machining to use one. Also...I'd ask people about the proper timing chain/gear cover and cam buttons to use. Who knows...I am sure something wasn't correct about the installations so maybe somebody can chime in.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I used a PJ geardrive on a 454 motor with a roller in it and had issues with it related to backlash and timing problems. Took the gear drive out and all was well. I just freshened a 454 motor with a Milodon geardrive. If you like the sound I thought the Milodon was a much better part but it also cost alot more. The Milodon has no backlash in it even if the blocks been alighn honed. It seemed like it was real easy to degree the cam too. Seems like the blower people like them for reasons unknown to me. Maybe less stress on the crank snout. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I assume you're young and want the sound they make. Don't waste your money on one; spend it on something that will make power instead of noise.
Although a good one won't even make that much noise--I had one on my 406(built by someone else) and never knew it was on there until we pulled the engine apart(it was a $500 Summers Brothers) If you want the ultimate, get a belt drive $$$$, or do yourself a favor and use an old fashioned chain!

·
Registered
287 Posts
gear drive

When I built my 383 I bought one of the cheap gear drives. I was going to install it when I realized what a piece of junk it was.

Wanting to have a gear drive, I purchased one from Summit. It was an extremely well built, one piece unit with a single idler gear. It has it's own aluminum case, just bolt on, made for them by a vendor.

I went to order one for a friend last year and I don't think that they make them anymore. Something else, you can barely hear it. It was about $200 USD

The point that I'm trying to make is that if you put a cheap on one, more than likely it will be inaccurate, and less accurate than a good double roller chain.:)

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I have an Edelbrock Accu-drive(sp?) and like it. No problems for 6 years and it's not reaaly loud like many other brands I've heard. You only really hear it at lower rpm's and decellerating.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
i have one in my car, been there since before i built the engine 16 years ago.
i haven't had any problems with mine but if i ever do a rebuild i'll just go with a chain. it's true that it's hard to hear if anything else is going on in the engine over it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts