Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a noisy gear drive in my 72 Nova. It's pretty much a stock 350 as best as I can tell (I bought the car with this motor in it). Previous owner told me that it was a crate motor that had a little work done to it. At best I think there may be a small cam. I really want the whine of a blower but not the expense of such right now. Can anyone provide me any tips on which brand gear drive that I should purchase? Is it really hard to install? Any special tips would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance of any help and support,

#novasridehard!

·
14,582 Posts
It will drive you nuts after awhile. I had one for about 6 mos and the noise from it was extremely annoying. I had a Pete Jackson drive in mine.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
3-X on the noise driving you nuts.

I had to drive 45 minutes one way to work. I could not get that gear drive out of my engine.

Bryan

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a noisy Pete Jackson in my 66 and I liked it, but it was only a weekend car. When I sold the engine to build another I missed the sound. They are easy to install though, not really any different then a timing chain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm taking my noisy POS out soon. I'm used to the noise, but I think it is worn out and causing my timing to be erratic. Not sure who makes mine. It has a 1/4" frame around it, so I have the water pump shimmed out to match.
The most annoying thing is the oil leaks from having 2 sets of gaskets and a stamped timing cover... It has to go.

JoeII

·
Registered
744 Posts
Had a noisy Pete Jackson in my 63 when I first put the 355 in it. Always thought a gear drive sounded cool until the first time I drove the car the 80 miles from my place to Indianapolis. Couldn't enjoy the purr of the engine for all the noise the gear drive was making. First chance I got it came out and replaced it with a regular double roller timing set. It now hangs on the wall of shame in my garage. I have to admit I did get a kick out of folks asking me if I had a blower under the hood.

Mark

·
Registered
606 Posts
Pete Jackson's go in pretty easy. You sometimes have to grind a bit on part of the idler to get the right block to idler spacing.

You should consider purchasing a heavy duty timing cover as well. I've seen some cheap taiwan chrome ones bend from the cam buttons.

I personally wouldn't use one in a car that sees too many miles. They are really cool at first but get annoying after a few minutes. Heads definitely turn at stoplights and such.

Also, they create some vibrations within the motor and if you are considering retrofitting a fuel injection/ electrical system that has a knock sensor, it may throw a code.

I have heard of lots of people breaking cams and crank snouts but "I think, I don't know" that may be from improper set-up and the cam being able to walk forward.

I have two friends with them and one ran his in a daily (10-15 miles) driver for 4-5 years. My best friend has had his since the 90's in his occasional weekend car with zero problems.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a gear drive on my high compression 327. If I'm not mistaken I think they make two different kinds, a real noisy one and a noisy one. I'm also building a gasser style car so loud and obnoxious is what I'm in to... If you want one install it. The worse thing that can happen is it be to loud, if so then just take it off.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Novice move, don't do it.

Besides the reason already given, gear drives are also not good for the engine.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm sooooo glad I pulled mine out! They are pretty much a useless annoyance. Did nothing but make it so I couldn't hear my motor, my stereo, my thoughts... Really pissed off my neighbors (especially leavin at the butt crack of dawn), and got me pulled over twice, once for flat out for noise and once cause "it sure as hell sounded like I was speeding" since yanking it I've found exhaust leaks, I could hear a whine in my trans from low fluid and I don't have to carry Advil on long trips... Nor roll at the back of the pack cause no one else wants to hear it. It's no wonder PJ went out of buisness...

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm sooooo glad I pulled mine out! They are pretty much a useless annoyance. Did nothing but make it so I couldn't hear my motor, my stereo, my thoughts... Really pissed off my neighbors (especially leavin at the butt crack of dawn), and got me pulled over twice, once for flat out for noise and once cause "it sure as hell sounded like I was speeding" since yanking it I've found exhaust leaks, I could hear a whine in my trans from low fluid and I don't have to carry Advil on long trips... Nor roll at the back of the pack cause no one else wants to hear it. It's no wonder PJ went out of buisness...
i would agree with this guy! the sound will distract you from everything else. they transfer harmonics bad.. not worth it..

but if its what you want.. DO IT:devil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts