Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you folks can help me out with this one. My '71 project came with a 350/350, but I'm thinking it would be fun to convert it to a gear banger (I might add, my 15-going-on-25 year old daughter REALLY wants a gear banger). A friend has a T5 he will let me have cheap, but I have heard those can't handle more than about 300 hp and I'm thinking of building a mild 383 to go in front of it. Tremec is a solution, but they are SO EXPENSIVE :eek: it would break my budget.

Is there anything I can be looking for at my local Pick-N-Pull that won't require a PhD in automechanics to install that would be more reliable?:confused:

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Dave

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
have ya got the pedals and other linkage already ??? or are ya just starting the quest ???

what about a Muncie ??? or were ya wanting the OD of the 5th ???

Johnny (likes being) Shifty :D

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just starting to look at how to put this together. A 5-speed would be nice, but I can live with a 4-speed. I'm shooting for about 2200 rpm at 70 mph and can adjuct the rear gears for that.

Dave

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've heard of some guy in NY that builds Muncies into OD 3+1 about $2400 I think,that will take what ever you throw at it but it is pricey.The Nascar guys run this set up at the high banks Daytona,& Talledaga.

·
Registered
475 Posts
taz3 said:
I've heard of some guy in NY that builds Muncies into OD 3+1 about $2400 I think,that will take what ever you throw at it but it is pricey.The Nascar guys run this set up at the high banks Daytona,& Talledaga.
NASCAR teams havent used Muncies in a long, long time. Most of them use the T-101......which is a based on the Super T-10 4 speeds. They are WAY beefier than any Muncie or ST-10 though.
If you want one of those then take a look on Ebay. There is a guy that sells them on there from time to time. They have been removed from usually from a Nascar or Nextel Cup car. You can buy new ones but they are not cheap.
Heres a link to one of the places that builds T-101's http://www.texracing.com/

·
Registered
801 Posts
You'll need some real low gears to get 2200 at 70... i think your best bet would be to go with a 5 speed of some kind, otherwise i'm not sure you'll be terribly happy with the around town performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts