Chevy Nova Forum banner

Gauges once again

6K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  graymond 
#1 ·
I want to mount my trans, oil temp and fuel pressure (isolated) gauges under the dash. How about some pics of where you mounted yours. I was thinking under where the radio goes.

Show yer pics.

TIA,
Denis

#5 ·
Autometer used to sell cups to turn them when in a pod of 3. Try use one screw from the dash to hold the bracket and see if you like it. I find the monster tach too big to fit any where, I'm going to try a bracket off the heater controls. Your height you sit at may make them easier or harder to see, so trying the bracket while driving will give you a good idea. The best place I've seen them is in the AC opening in the center of the dash, but you'll need a new pad or to cut yours!:eek:

Here's the opening, no gauges though.

#6 ·
I run 3 guages down the left hand side where the vent normally goes, one to the left of the steering column, one hanging below that and one hanging below the center console. They hanging ones are temporary until I get my console made but everything is very visible and works well.

I also cut a hole in the factory clock plate and mounted an aftermarket 2" tach on the plate. It fits really well. I'm not a fan of big guages taking up a bunch of space.

#8 ·
I already have my oil pressure and water temp gauges in left side. I think I know where I am putting the other 3 now.

If you look at the interior picture in my car profile, you can see my gauges mounted in a 3 panel mount under the ashtray. I used all existing holes. The gauge kit is a Summit kit and the bracket looks exactally like an Autogauge bracket:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85848
I did a temp mount under the ash tray as you did. I have the bracket angled toward the drivers seat for a better visual. I think I will keep it there. Nice pics. Love the wagon in the 1st pic.

#7 ·
If you look at the interior picture in my car profile, you can see my gauges mounted in a 3 panel mount under the ashtray. I used all existing holes. The gauge kit is a Summit kit and the bracket looks exactally like an Autogauge bracket:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85848

#9 ·
That's my dad's wagon. It's a 71 Chevy Malibu Greenbriar. It's all original including the paint. It need some work but is a nice driver. The guy who was going to buy it before my dad saved it was going to put it in a demo derby:eek:. We're getting ready to redo it after Good Guys Columbus this year, I'm trying to talk him into a 496 for it:devil:

#14 ·
I also had mine mounted below the ash tray. I'll be getting a Covan's dash so will be moving them into the dash area now instead. This is the best pic I could find and it was after I started tearing things apart. I used a piece of metal to attach all 3 gauges to and then I attached the piece of metal to existing holes under the dash. That way I didn't have to drill any new holes.

#16 ·
heres mine. My water temp, oil pressure, and volt meter are all mounted in the lower panel. Im gonna mount a trans temp gauge in there to when I buy one.I left room next to the fuse holder for my timing control. I also converted my ash tray to mount my nitrous pressure gauge and hold my push button starter.

#19 ·
Here is How I mounted Mine.. Classic Insturments Lovin Ya

A Covans Classic
If I was to do it over again I would have Paid the 600 for the Metal one that is buried deep in the forums that a Camaro guy makes... They are amazing and Paint-able.
The gauges are Classic Instruments :

and the gear shift indicator in the center is a Dakota Digital.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/ThumbNails/prd_lg_63.gif

#20 ·

I'm going to use some 2 5/8" Phantom electrical gauges ( Water, Volts, Oil ) and be able to use the water temp as my trans temp as well. I've wired an in-line on-off-on switch and mounted near the center console hanging from the bottom part of the dash. This way I can monitor both without the installation of another gauge.

#24 ·
ovrdrive, I like the box you built for the gauges. Did you cover the box yourself? May I ask what the dimensions are for the box and what are you going to do for the cup holders.

Even though this is 4 years old, some new ideas have popped up!!

ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.