Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one local has an 8.2 diff gasket so I wanted to seal the rear end cover with only silicone. Is there a particular type I should look for that will not leak?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Permatex black RTV is what I have used over the years. There’s also an orange formula that I’ve used as well.. I don’t remember what the difference is between them if any..

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i changed to a better diff cover on a 8.2 an used a gasket with permatex, an still leaked. got p.... it still was dripping an took it to a speed shop an they installed the cover with mr. gasket that was in a can that squirted out kinda like wipe cream can. no leakes now with out a gasket.

·
Registered
214 Posts
silicone sometimes makes it leak because the surface remains oily unless you are very carful to be sure its dry and no old gasket or silicone sand both surfaces lightly and use a dry gasket only Mr Gasket sometimes makes a thicker gasket even felpro is good Make sure your cover is not bent tighten in a cross pattern In all my years working on cars i never used silicone on a rear cover... if you are still hell bent on using silicone make sure all the fluid is out of the center section soak it up with a rag. Sand and dry clean with brake clean put a small bead or spread it with your finger and let it set for 24 hours. Most people put the fluid in before the silicone cures therefore it leaks. I like the permatex ultra line not sure witch color it is i believe the black is for oil pans vcg etc... good luck!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Make one; trace it out on a cereal box,cut it out easy.Are you not a Hot Rodder?

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas. I’m going to try the Permatex Right Stuff.

You know JPB, you’re right. A true hot rodder or car guy improvises where need be. This damn smart phone and even this good ‘ol website has made me reliant on asking the simplest, or dumbest:eek: question. But I find this quality social time to talk to you all the Nova gods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts