Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys as soon as my gaskets arrive Im going to try putting this engine together! So my question is what kind of sealers do you guys use for Timing gear cover, Valve covers, and side (pushrod) covers, and thermostat cover gasket? Would the ATV gasket sealer stuff work? or is there something special I should use? or since the valve cover and side covers are rubber would it not need any sealant at all?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I put the black 3M Weatherstrip on all my gaskets. Clean the surface with some brake cleaner, run a thin bead on surface, put gasket on, then put a thin bead on cover stick it together. Done no more leaks. Oh and put the bolts in.

Like I said I put this on all gaskets and haven't had engine oil leaks in years. The down side is the its hard to get a cover off once its stuck. I have bent a valve cover trying to get it off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ultra black. For the water pump and timing chain cover, I only use the Ultra Black and nothing else, not even a gasket. Same thing for the differential cover. As far as the valve covers go; if you're using rubber gaskets, I wouldn't put anything on them.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about putting nothing on the rubbers, but I may put a thin bead on just to make sure. And I've put the gasket maker on the differential cover with no gasket and seems to seal good, but I havent ran it yet. Thanks for the info guys :)

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If Im using gaskets I just glue them on with gasgacinch. I completely dry the metal surface with some 1.1.1. and lay a very thin film of gasgacinch on the metal and the gasket and let it tack up. Then mate the two. Not on the head gasket. Thats dry.

If I need some RTV in there (intake ends) I like the copper RTV. Never had any problems with it. Again. I super dry the metal with some Tric...

Now I have some Dow 730 that I used for a job once and that stuff is pretty crazy. Cause I had to remove it for a change in my setup. That stuff did NOT want to come off. I had some left over from another job so I thought why not. Im not kidding, it like bonded to the metal, more than I was used to. Sick sh*t.. JR

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
One word of advice- don't use any silicone based sealers around fuel. I've seen people use silicone on carb gaskets and intake gaskets and the gasoline eventually softens and eats the sealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts