Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a tank for our 63 3 row seat wagon, any ideas where i might get one? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I am looking for a tank for our 63 3 row seat wagon, any ideas where i might get one? Thanks in advance!
I remember this car! So you decided to keep it?

The gas tank is the same; I think the inlet may be relocated. It is the filler neck/pipe that is 3rd seat specific.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas tank

Yes, we kept it, offers we got for a true survivor with this rare option were..., lets just say not nice. :no: . The car sat so long that the fuel in the tank ..turned to varnish, we removed it power washed, blew out, but the varnish is still showing up in the filter. Plan are to make it a daily driver as amazingly simple and straight forward this car is it is a real head turner....especially when you have a full load of passengers... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
63 wagon

I bought a 63 3 row wagon last summer. Went through the exact same thing. Found out that basically there are no new fuel tanks or sending units for them out there. If you can salvage the old sending unit I would do it. Like an idiot I did not and through mine away figuring I would just order a new one.....wrongo. I took my tank to a radiator shop and they boiled it out, repaired any leaks it had and sealed it from the inside then painted it. Cost me $200. I ordered a sending unit for a 62-67 and did some modifications on it to make it work and it works fine. Let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Tank

Will give my radiator guy a call as there are no leaks in the tank.... got pics of your wagon? Thanks for the idea!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Car

Nice car...my pics are some where on the Wagon thread...I will look to see if I dig em up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had a 63 third seat wagon go through my hands and the difference seems to me to be a reversed tank with the fill tube located in the new position on the drivers side just. All Chevy II tanks have two flat spots one on each side. You need to take a new tank and solder the old fill tube to the other side after carving a new hole on the other flat spot and fill the original with a soldered cap. See a radiator expert.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tank-Cleaning

Called my radiator guy, he is gonna Hot wash and clean it out for <100$ it has no rust just all the varnish/gunk. Plan on replaceing filter sock and start driving this thing.....Yes I compared it to my 66 SS and it is the same tank except for filler location. I belive the location was changed for when the wagon had a load , the filler would not interfere with the leaf spring.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I had a 63 third seat wagon go through my hands and the difference seems to me to be a reversed tank with the fill tube located in the new position on the drivers side just. All Chevy II tanks have two flat spots one on each side. You need to take a new tank and solder the old fill tube to the other side after carving a new hole on the other flat spot and fill the original with a soldered cap. See a radiator expert.
This is correct......same tank......remove or cap filler. Neck stub.and install one on the opposite side.same sending unit also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts