Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: What is the secret to filling up a 62 Nova without spilling gas all over the side? I don't use the trigger lock on the pump anymore because it never kicks out until it is too late. I now try to hold it lightly until I hear gurling and stop, but it still sneaks up on me sometimes and spills like it did today. Good reason to wash and wax but this is getting old. Am I the only one? Does anyone have a good way to prevent this?

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
I had the same problem. I believe it's the angle you hold the nozzle in the filler tube. I make sure there's an air gap under the tip of the nozzle and it seems to work for me. I never fill it all the way up tho ever.

·
Registered
788 Posts
AAAAAhhhhh the little sore spot of my daily drive!

I have become a good guesstimater of gas needed to fill the tank in my longroof. If I get it right, no spill. Sometimes the cleanup committee has to do their chemical hasmet thing.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,669 Posts
I never fill it all the way up tho ever.
x2. I gave up trying to fill it all the way and now I wait until it's on about 1/4 tank and then put 6 gals in.

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
This seems to work for me.

1. Put the pump handle into the filler neck as far as it can go. [NOTE: If you're in one of those state with the funky gas vapor recovery stuff on the pump handle this probably won't work].

2. Set the trigger lock on setting #1 (lowest flow).

It shuts off for my Novas before the mass spillage using this method. :yes: Then again, I suppose the pumps are all a bit different. :confused:

Cheers, Tim

:confused: What is the secret to filling up a 62 Nova without spilling gas all over the side? I don't use the trigger lock on the pump anymore because it never kicks out until it is too late. I now try to hold it lightly until I hear gurling and stop, but it still sneaks up on me sometimes and spills like it did today. Good reason to wash and wax but this is getting old. Am I the only one? Does anyone have a good way to prevent this?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I put the gas nozzle in upside down and tilted 30 degrees when I fill up. I can fill fast, but I always guess the capacity and shut it off myself before the gas spills out. Its a PIA but...:confused:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just grab a squeegee by the pump and wipe the side of the car off, it works on gas and vomit. Ive seen people use large funnels. But now i just guesstamate and never top it off. If im on E then I put in about 11 gallons half way I put 5-6 it works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
i have this problem as well, i have just started leaving the key "on" and i just watch the gauge when it gets full i pull the thing out and i dont get gas all over my car anymore

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am kind of glad to hear about others having problems...I was beginning to suspect that there was something wrong with my car. We are taking the Nova on a 4 hour trip this weekend so I should several opportunites to try these techniques. Thanks for the advise and I will try to report if I find one that works for me.

·
0 Posts
I just listen to the flow, as soon as it starts to gurgle I stop. Then I pump the fuel slow while rocking the car. You can hear it when its full. Works every time.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I was told that it's a (air) thing & if you drill a hole on the top side of the filler hose & run a small hose from the hole down the side that You can pump gas into faster . Like I said I 've not tried this yet
Later Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts