Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well on friday I filled up my nova with a full tank, and I didnt know that it had a 20 gal. tank. Is this standard on muscle cars? Well anyways I drove around friday and sat. and noticed I was down to a quarter tank. Well my mechanic friend was looking at my engine and noticed my fuel pump was leaking. So I got that replaced and replenished the 15 gal. of fuel used in under 150 miles of driving. Anybody know the average MPG on a nova?

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
slcpunk73nova said:
Ok well on friday I filled up my nova with a full tank, and I didnt know that it had a 20 gal. tank. Is this standard on muscle cars? Well anyways I drove around friday and sat. and noticed I was down to a quarter tank. Well my mechanic friend was looking at my engine and noticed my fuel pump was leaking. So I got that replaced and replenished the 15 gal. of fuel used in under 150 miles of driving. Anybody know the average MPG on a nova?

There are a ton a variables in this...My car depending on cam, intake, etc, etc that I was running at any giving time would cause my MPG to range from as little as 9 MPG to as high as 16 MPG...even the state of your current tune up, if your tires are properly inflated, How wide your current tires are, and how hard you drive the car, along with 1000 other factors will all factor into your MPG

So if your motor is fairly modified and your gearing is in the 3.73 range, and your running a non OD tranny then the 9 MPG or so that you are getting might be right on the mark....If its not then it might be way too low...its hard to tell..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch I thought if I as long as I didnt hotrod it around town I might get close to 20. Wow thats gonna be a bitch LOL.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
slcpunk73nova said:
Ouch I thought if I as long as I didnt hotrod it around town I might get close to 20. Wow thats gonna be a bitch LOL.
You will be lucky (read that as VERY lucky) to get 20 MPG on the highway...To get that, and I'm not too sure you can, you would need a very mild 350 possibly a 307 and somewhere in the 2.43 or there abouts rear gearing.......The 9-16 MPG (depending on setup) I listed was on the highway...I got WAY less then both of those figures in town...

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
My Camaro with a decent 383, 600 DP Holley, a P/G with a 2800 stall converter, 4.10 gear, 15 inch tire, forgot exact size, and no headers got 12 to 13 MPG average if you weren't hammering on it. My Dad had a 63 Belair 2 dr with a 283 2 barrel 336 gear and 3 on the tree and it got 20 MPG totally stock. Oh yeah and that was in 1963 so it was brand new too. LOL. RM

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
When my 69 had a 230" 6 cyl./3 spd. combo, the best I ever got on the highway was 19 and change. On the Power Tour in 99, with the 406 and 3.73 gears, I got 10.5-11 mpg, and the car ran 10.80's at the time.
Was my wife driving your car? She can kill the mileage of anything!! I drive 75-80 on the freeway(when traffic allows) and on the ride home from work it's all stop and go, and I never get worse than 32 in my Civic--she drives the car 2 days and the mpg drops to 27!! I can't make it go that low, no matter how I drive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 307 and I've been trying to drive like a grandma. Well I guess in the teens isnt too bad LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts