Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the "normal" position to the gas meter needle, when power is off?

Mine sticks in the middle, and when powered on (=car running), it moves to different position. I have now the meters off and it would of course be good to do something to gas meter also, if it's not ok.
The meters connectors show 40 ohms. The cables from it shows; pink to ground 3,5 ohms - brown to ground 6,5 ohms and pink to brown about 10 ohms. Some of these readings of course vary depending to the amount of gas, but are these readings near to correct at all..?
And what is its working method? Voltage (how much) to pink and brown to ground through the tank gauge? Or...?

·
Registered
512 Posts
The needle will float around at random when there is no power applied to it. This is normal its even mentioned in the 63 owner's manual. Sounds like its working properly.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
When my 64 is powered off it goes to empty. But when powered on it shows the true reading. I would need to look at the wires for a better answer.

I personally would check your ground and make sure it is good, as a lot of the needle problems can be caused by your ground wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts