Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I need your help, again :) I'm in the process of replacing my leaky fuel tank with a new Jaz fuel cell (Bladder in a box). Since I got the car the gas gauge would only read 1/4 full even if the tank was full. Initially I thought that the float was broke or corroded. Long story short picked up a new sending unit through Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290180/ hooked it up to test it out and found that it as well as the original sending unit still reads to only 1/4 full. I checked the wires, verified it was the tan wire and traced its connection all the way to the back of the gauge cluster. Upon the tests I find I'm only getting about 6volts to the sending unit. Why?

I figure the fuel gauge can't be bound up seeing how when I remove the ground wire on the sending unit, the gauge reads a little past full? Has anyone else had this issue if so whats the work around? I'm currently looking at aftermarket fuel level gauges to bypass the original wiring and headaches but would like to use my current one if that's possible. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
The 12V is actually supplied to the fuel gauge in the dash. The sending unit supplies the ground to complete the circuit. If you unhook the wire from the sending unit and measure between the wire to the gauge and ground (some bare metal on the body) you should have 12V. With the wire unhooked, your fuel gauge should read full. When you touch the wire from the gauge to ground, the gauge should ready empty.

If that fails, you either have a bad gauge or short in the wiring.

If that works, then check that the ground wire has a good ground from the sending unit to bare metal on the body.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys just wanted to give you all an update in regards to your help and suggestions. Long story short I determined that my original gas gauge was shot so I installed an aftermarket gauge. After much thought and debate I removed my ash tray and made my own gauge pod via fiberglass, pvc and allot of cursing. I posted the pics I hope you guys find it as cool and innovative as I do. Thanks again for all of your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts