Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gas gauge reads empty all the time. when I unplug the power wire from the sender it goes to full. I haven't checked my ground wire yet. I'm just looking for a little insight before I start ripping crap apart.:D

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Right.... Make certain the ground is good.... If that's not the problem., the float may be cracked & full of gas., thus reading empty....

·
Registered
482 Posts
some are on the sender circle to the tank or the frame. you cant see it unless you drop the tank.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the actual ground wire fastened to the body but it isn't hooked to the tank. it's just hanging there. I can't see where it's supposed to hook to the sender. anyone have any pics?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
chevy fuel guages show full + when they loose ground.

That your needle pegged when you unplugged it shows you DO have a good ground.

Problem is in your sending unit. Run out your fuel ( or siphon it out ) and drop the tank.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, I fixed the ground. before I did it would go to full when the ign. was off and go to empty when the ign was turned on now that redid the ground the gauge goes to half a tank with the ign off and still goes to empty when the ign is on. I know I have at least a half tank. I may just need a new sender unit.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ground wire actually comes off of the face of the sender and fastens with a screw to the body. I'll have some at GG's this weekend if you want to look at one.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
64 sending units are 0-30 ohm .65 and later are 0-90 ohm

I can take a 30 ohm 64 gas gauge and stick it in a 65 and it works perfectly. As a matter of fact, when I restore the Supercar clusters, I don't separate 63-64 fuel gauges from the 65 ones. They are the same. All of the gas tank sending units I've seen are all the same for 62-65 too. Go look-up replacement gas tank sending units from Chevy2only.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Well... You may be right....:yes: (^^^)

I had thought Kaiser was right in that the sender was 90 ohm in '65 V8 cars due to the 3/8" V8 hose style sender... (But maybe that didn't start until 66' ????)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts