Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a fuel cell and and the wire that when to the old tank i reused and i grounded it to from fuel cell to the car well on the gauge on the cluser where the gas reads full and empty well it stays on E and there is 3 studs on the back + this plug in and well ther is a plug in there but nothing on the 3 studs is there suppose to be somthing on there?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Did you use the stock gauge that was already there. Did you use the stock sending unit fron your original tank or was it a new one to fit the new tank. Is your original system 0-90 ohm and if you bought a new unit for the tank is it the same. If you used all the stock stuff with just a new tank did it work before the tank swap. Where is it grounded to, the tank ? What's the tank grounded to?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes i used the stock wire from the old tank.Just added on a new fitting and little extra wire and as for the ground i have it grounded right to thr body of the car and i made sure it was a good ground. But as for the sending unit!The fuel cell came with it. I bought it from a guy that changed his mind and wanted to keep old gas tank and he bought it for a chevy nova and he said it was 90ohm but dont it was brand new never opened! Is there a way to check if it is and for the back of the gas gauge itself is there somthing suppose to be anything on those 3 studs?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All i have is the wire with the spade end that plugs in right next to the 3 studs! So you are saying besides that i sould have a ground there and 12v wire and if so where does the 12v come from?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
The original sending unit is 0-30 ohms, meaning when your fuel tank is empty the sending unit puts out 0 ohms of resistance and when full it puts out 30 ohms. Your new Summit racing sending unit is 0-90 ohms, so the only time your original fuel gauge is going to be accurate is when your tank is empty...not a good deal. In 65 Chevy made the fuel gauges 0-90. So your choices are:

1. Go back to original tank and sending unit
2. Find an aftermarket 0-90 fuel gauge like Autometer and mount under your dash
3. Find a 65 fuel gauge and replace your 63 with it.
4. Buy this 0-30 sending unit and replace your new one in your fuell cell with it. If you have foam in your cell it will need to be removed to make this kind of gauge work.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CIN-SN36/

Addiing a 60 ohm resistor inline will not solve the problem. :no:

·
6,502 Posts
The first thing you need to do is either get or use a decent ohm meter to do electrical work. This basic tool can help a lot and without it you would be like a mechanic with only a hammer to fix or troubleshoot things.

What you may want to do is a search here on the site as there had been a bunch of threads on fuel gauge systems.

After you read what you can, you need to start off with a basic test. Turn the ignition switch to the run position and then disconnect the fuel sender signal wire (factory wire was a tan). The gauge should now swing to full or above. Now touch and connect this tan wire to the ground wire you have. The gauge should now swing to empty or below. Once you do this test and you get these two results then you can go further with troubleshooting. If these two tests do not get the gauge needle to swing to empty and then to full or above, then this has to be corrected before anything else. If not you are using a knife in a gun fight.

Jim

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
well this car is a 73 if it matters. But i will check and do what you are asking me to do and see what happens. but the wire i think i have pluged in is black! I'll see

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Power and ground come from the ribbon board on the instrument panel.
Check that ribbon board and follow the copper ground. I have had the copper ground have a break in it that could be seen visibly. I had to run a separate ground wire off the back of the gauge to fix mine before on a 67 Chevy truck that I had before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts