Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on the headlights the gas gauge drops to empty. I replaced the headlight switch, didn't help. Any ideas out there?
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure the ground on your instrument panel is there. My 67 did the same thing so I just added another ground from the gauge panel to the body and it fixed the problem!:)

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
The ground on the 66-67 instrument panel is a metal strip that is on the back of the panel that is under the upper left screw when you look at it. When the screw is tight it keeps the strip in contact with the body for the ground connection. Loose screw or corrosion can make it not ground. Or if the car has had the interior repainted it could cause it.

To add ground wire, just bolt it to the metal backing plate on the instrument panel and then screw it in to a good ground area on the body inside the dash.

·
Registered
393 Posts
To add ground wire, just bolt it to the metal backing plate on the instrument panel and then screw it in to a good ground area on the body inside the dash.
I added a wire to ground and it helped!! just before that,my "bright" and right arrow signal were always on,the arrow wasn't blinking.What would cause them to stay on? I want to fix the problem,even though the ground makes it go away.

·
6,502 Posts
I added a wire to ground and it helped!! just before that,my "bright" and right arrow signal were always on,the arrow wasn't blinking.What would cause them to stay on? I want to fix the problem,even though the ground makes it go away.
Chances are when the instrument panel is not grounded you will get what they call back feed. Back feed is when you have one circuit wanting to have a ground but with it missing tries to get it from another spot. Your instrument panel has a high beam light that gets a power signal from the high beam switch. To ground it requires the instrument panel to be grounded. If the instrument panel is grounded, all is well but the instrument panel also has a left turn signal going to a bulb which gets power from the left turn signal switch and then relies on the bulb being grounded to the instrument panel. If the instrument panel becomes ungrounded now the high beam bulb tries to find a ground through the left turn signal wire. The turn signal wire connects to the left turn signal bulb and then this bulb is grounded up front. In this instance both the high beam bulb and left turn signal bulb are illuminated in the dash but not at full brightness.

From what I can tell from the other posts here your instrument panel may be grounded by it's mounting screws or through ground straps (thin flat bent sections of steel). I've seen in more than one spot on car that mounting screws sometimes do not thread directly into thin steel but instead thread into U shaped clips that slide over a larger hole on a panel edge to allow for variances in the manufacturing of the different parts. With this type of mounting the mount may be solid mechanically but electrically poor.

Adding a dedicated new ground will not hurt anything but if you want it back the way it was originally designed then you need to see how things were originally grounded and then clean all of those connection points. Sometimes this is easy but sometimes it requires a lot of dis-assembly and possible damage to things.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts