Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an all original 66 and was thinking of throwing a 4 barrel on just to get a little bit more pep if I need it.

I'm not too educated so any help would be great. I've heard that a new age 4 barrel could actually manage my fuel better than my old stock 2 barrel carb. Will I only use more gas if I really step on it?

I want to be able to open the hood and have it look bone stock.

Of course I would store my original carb incase I sold my car. If I decide to invest in a 4-barrel, should I go with a holley.. or?..

I have a 283 btw.

****edit****
Please excuse the "barrell" typo on the title, should have been "barrel" :eek::eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
If you're thinking fuel economy...you have the wrong hobby.

Seriously, you *might* do better with a spreadbore 4bbl, such as a Rochester Quadrajet. The primary bores are small, and the secondaries are larger. If I remember right, counting only the primaries, it works out to be a smaller carb than your 2bbl is.

The trick is to keep your foot out of it, and stick with just the primaries. Easier said than done. :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
patman said:
If you're thinking fuel economy...you have the wrong hobby.

Seriously, you *might* do better with a spreadbore 4bbl, such as a Rochester Quadrajet. The primary bores are small, and the secondaries are larger. If I remember right, counting only the primaries, it works out to be a smaller carb than your 2bbl is.

The trick is to keep your foot out of it, and stick with just the primaries. Easier said than done. :D
Cool cool, thanks. I'm not looking to whoop on the integras with my stock 283, I just want to be able to motor around a lil bit I I feel the need.

I currently get roughly 20 mpg, which is about twice as good as my 5.7l 1993 chevy xtra-cab.

I'd like to keep my stock air cleaner. Would I have to change out my intake to accommodate a 4 barrel carb?

Again, I have pretty much no knowledge when it comes to engines/performance, I just need some basic info.

Would a rochester hide pretty well under my air cleaner?

As far as the fuel economy, anything will be better than what I was getting with my 93 chevy... as long as I keep it within 15-20 mpg; keeping in mind i'm not a "lead foot" driver.

If I was looking to spend mad cash on a high performance "hot rod" I would have... I'm past that... I just want a ride that looks and sounds good; then be able to revert it to stock if I decide to sell.

Thanks again,
-Nathan

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you've got a good running economical motor, leave it alone. You're well ahead of most of our members in the Nova economy run.
I don't think you'll gain enough economy from a carb change to justify the cost on that basis, and it you're doing it for the power, then the economy is down the drain.
Your stock air cleaner won't fit on a 4-bbl carb, and finding a replacement with the stock look could be difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
If you still decide you want to put on a 4bbl but keep the stock look, you might try to find an original 283 or 327 cast iron 4bbl intake. and an original base for the air cleaner. In certain years and models, chevy offered a 220HP version of the 283 and it was basically the same engine but with a 4bbl carb and dual exhaust.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yes, the Q-Jet carb alone will provide you with good MPG's depending on your driving style. AND you'll have slightly added HP "punch" (and sound :D ) when floorboarded.

Your BEST all around "package" though, would be the Q-Jet coupled with a low-end torque / RV / mileage type grind cam design and then free up the exhaust system (at least dual exh and a less restrictive muffler, if you haven't already) to take advantage of the whole carb / performance / MPG thing.

This worked well for me! (and just store your original parts) ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts