Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put a new gas cap on my non/ecc gas tank, never heard this noise before with old cap but when I remove the cap a bunch of air comes out making that 'swooooshing' sound. And, after the car is turned off for about 5 min, I hear a 'popping noise' which sounds like its from the tank area. Should I be concerned with any of this? Was the old cap just bad and the above mentioned is normal? thanks

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
You, sir, bought a non-vented cap... correct? The whooshing is a buildup of pressure while sitting in the sun or vacuum while driving. The popping probably isnt a good thing though.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, classic owes me another gas cap then. The new cap is the one they said goes with the new tank. It does have the little round thingy on the bottom side of the cap, with a hole in the middle, both old cap and new cap. Guess that explains now the car makes sort of an 'air' vacuum winding sound. sheeeeze. This new cap has to be a vented cap with the red knurled round thing on bottom side but why the build of pressure I have no idea. Since the old cap did not fit the new tank I then built the old cap up with an extra gasket it now fits but pressure still builds up. Theres no lines coming off the new tank except the 2 from the sending unit..........I have no idea what to do. How big of a notch do I put in the rubber gasket if i go that route?

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Well, classic owes me another gas cap then. It does have the little thingy on the bottom side of the cap, you can press on it and it sort goes up and down. But the car does make a winding sound if that means anything.
have a pic? You could probably cut a hole in the top part of the gasket on any gas cap so it vents... if it isn't vented.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts