Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never seen one of these before. I found this in the gas tank inlet.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, I've seen them before. I sold them at my gas station back during the gas crisis in the 70's. Gas was so scarce a lot of people would siphon from parked vehicles at night. With the spring in the filler neck you couldn't get a siphon hose down the neck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
And it's reduced to 69 cents too!

That brings back memories.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yours is pretty rusty... if you want to replace it, I have one in stock :rolleyes:

It's even in the original package! :D

Haha I like the locking bowtie gas cap. But thanks anyway. I was just going through the spare half dozen gas tanks to label them good or bad. 5 of 6 good shape hehehe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I pulled one of those out of my 63. I should have taken a picture because for an extra measure the guy had soldered or bronzed a mess of wires to it that looked like an oversized Brillo pad. I just figured he must have had his gas stolen one to many times.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
its pretty cool at what they have came up back in the day ... some still in use

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mystery Solved after owning my car for over 30 years.
That's why I can't siphon gas !!!
I have that same thing in my car. I just assumed it was part of the gas tank

I wonder how easy it is to remove it. I would like to be able to siphon gas out of my tank if I ever need it for my generator if I ever loose power.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mystery Solved after owning my car for over 30 years.
That's why I can't siphon gas !!!
I have that same thing in my car. I just assumed it was part of the gas tank

I wonder how easy it is to remove it. I would like to be able to siphon gas out of my tank if I ever need it for my generator if I ever loose power.
Just remove the rubber connector at the gas tank by pushing it out of the way and pluck it out like you got a thigh out of a KFC bucket! Well, use a nice needle nose plier and you win.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just remove the rubber connector at the gas tank by pushing it out of the way and pluck it out like you got a thigh out of a KFC bucket! Well, use a nice needle nose plier and you win.

I was able to use a screwdriver to get under the end of it then I used Vise-Grips to grab hold and twist it out counter clockwise. It worked like a charm !!!
It actually still looks brand new but I am so glad I got it out.
I am so glad I read this post.

Anti Siphon by wt mf, on Flickr

·
Registered
311 Posts
You are doing it all wrong. Siphon the gas out of your wife's car, not yours.

HAHAHA I like how you think.
A few years back after a hurricane I lost power for 2 weeks and most gas stations ran out of gas. I was about ready to punch a hole in the gas tank of my Nova.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts