Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has painted their own cars in their garage or back yard? Lets see them... I have never paint a car but will be painting mine in a few wks. Right now it has a 6 month old paint job that's butternut yellow.. I'll be painting it black! thinking of lining my garage with plastic and going for it! I'm not taking it dow to bare metal just sanding and going for it. I've been watching youtube vids on how to paint in my garage. I told two of my buddies I was going to paint my own car and they said it wouldn't turn out good.. That just pissed me off! :mad: Now i'm on a mission! This is what i'm starting with.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It's a bit tricky and takes some learning, not to knock you, but I'd be surprised if your first paint job meets your own standards. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there are many unseen variables that come into play. I have painted the same car twice and the second time it turned out way better, I sure next season when it gets it 3rd go around, it should be really good. Understanding the gun and flow pattern of the paint are important and practice help a ton. I have no regrets and it was a great learning experience, all you'll lose is the cost of material and your time, so as I thought, why not!

Second time, the paint went on much better this time, knowing what to expect and with some advise from members here also helped a ton. This is base clear and we never bothered to polish it, being a stock car.

First time, you can see the black didn't lay down very well, nor did the red, but the red was 3 stage candy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also plan to shoot mine in my own garage. Will be my first go round at it as well, but figure I can mess it up quite a few times and redo it quite a few times for the price I would have to pay a shop. So why not learn another skill right? :devil: :yes:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to see the support fellas.. I seriously think I am smarter than most of the knuckle heads around here that paint.. So if they can do it so can I .. I just gotta learn right? lol

I just went to Sears to look a compressors.. any suggestions? Same with types of sanders and blocks? I friend said I could use his gun.

I love those paint jobs fellas.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I also plan to shoot mine in my own garage. Will be my first go round at it as well, but figure I can mess it up quite a few times and redo it quite a few times for the price I would have to pay a shop. So why not learn another skill right? :devil: :yes:
Yep, I know I did... best tip I can give is if youre not sure about something ASK before you do it. Would have saved me time and money, but like you said its a ton cheaper than a shop.

Glad to see the support fellas.. I seriously think I am smarter than most of the knuckle heads around here that paint.. So if they can do it so can I .. I just gotta learn right? lol

I just went to Sears to look a compressors.. any suggestions? Same with types of sanders and blocks? I friend said I could use his gun.

I love those paint jobs fellas.
I got mine at Lowes. Its a 60 gallon kobalt upright tank 220V... it can certainly be done with less but the small compressors make alot of heat, which makes water in the air... water+paint=not good. Get the big boy model. Mine was $450 with a coupon.

I sanded my whole car by hand with durablocks and a paintstick wrapped with sandpaper, but I can see where a nice little palm DA would be great for hoods etc. I maybe spent $30 on blocks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heres a couple i painted in garages.

check out my build thread for details. link is in my signature. and heres another. i will link the thread for it as well.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121901
Yep, I know I did... best tip I can give is if youre not sure about something ASK before you do it. Would have saved me time and money, but like you said its a ton cheaper than a shop.

I got mine at Lowes. Its a 60 gallon kobalt upright tank 220V... it can certainly be done with less but the small compressors make alot of heat, which makes water in the air... water+paint=not good. Get the big boy model. Mine was $450 with a coupon.

I sanded my whole car by hand with durablocks and a paintstick wrapped with sandpaper, but I can see where a nice little palm DA would be great for hoods etc. I maybe spent $30 on blocks.

Rat you paint is so freaking deep dude~! wow is all I can say! You mind giving me a code on the base and clear? I looked at ur bucket account as well. I'm basically starting from scratch with tools but oh well... I'd rather learn this b4 I have someone else do it.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Rat you paint is so freaking deep dude~! wow is all I can say! You mind giving me a code on the base and clear? I looked at ur bucket account as well. I'm basically starting from scratch with tools but oh well... I'd rather learn this b4 I have someone else do it.
Its single stage...no clear. It goes on black and shiny all in one step. Depth has to do with 2 things, color (darker = deeper) and clarity (the smoother the finish the deeper it will look). I put 3 wet coats of paint on the car, probably half of that got sanded/buffed off. Pro painters that are really good can get a finish right out the gun that doesnt need to be buffed, most show cars have buffed paint jobs to get them perfect. Usually when someone paints a car at home there will be some dust that settles on top of the paint, buffing will take care of that. The finish on my car isnt perfect, but there is no dust in it, it all got buffed away.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm assuming this single stage is easier to shoot? This is not a show.. just a street pro-touring hot rod! I want to drive it, take it to cruise ins etc without worrying who's around my car bc the paint job is perfect... Not saying I want a crappy paint job but I can live with a certain amount of imperfections on my 1st go around.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I wouldnt say its easier to shoot, but it eliminated the extra step of basing before clear. Less steps and products used on a car means less chance of something going wrong, but believe me, things WILL go wrong...lol

People always ask me about the clear on my car!! I love telling them its not base/clear !! They just kind of look at me dumbfounded. :yes:

I had single stage red on my car for 19 years, looked as great as it did on day one...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Back in the mid 70s my 69 Camaro needed a paint job and I needed a compressor. Took a chance and got the compressor and painted it myself. By the time you spray enough primer to get it ready you will get the hang of it. Since then I have painted 5 of mine in the garage. Pictures are dated so don't laugh. My 65 in 78 the 67 in 85 the 99 Monte in 00(had the graphics done).Flies love wet clearcoat.

·
Registered
202 Posts

We didnt even booth off the grage we just used fans and followed the directions on the can air temperatures in humanities
and we have the local paint shop on speed dial just in case

We did run watter on the floor to keep dust down

1 - 20 of 187 Posts