Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm redoing the wiring from my msd digital 6 plus. The small red wire goes to a keyed source of power (ignition on) I tend to error on the side of caution so no I was planning on putting an online fuse in this wire even though it's not required. It's a pretty small gauge wire and I don't believe there is much current going through it. Any suggestions on how big of fuse to out in or just fuse it according to the wire gauge?

·
6,412 Posts
I would fuse to the wire gauge. Chances are, I would think anyway, is that MSD chose that gauge wire for a reason and if a person were to fuse to the gauge wire and the fuse blew during use (and not due to a short in the wire somewhere) then they should have run a larger wire.

When I put in a 6AL box in my 73 years ago, I put a 30A fuse on the 10 gauge main power wire.

I just did a quick google search on MSD 6AL wiring and of the few images I saw, not one shows ANY fuses. To me that's wrong BUT to each their own.

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jim I appreciate it. I agree that it is wrong that they do not have anything fused. When I originally put it in I looked and looked online and finally did find in a forum where msd did say to go ahead and out a fuse I the main power wire. I'm all about an ounce of prevention.

·
6,412 Posts
On my 73 I have all of the wiring going to the trunk and then into relays, fuses, barrier strips, and whatever and it allowed me to put in more fusing than what was originally available in the factory fuse block. The car is heavily modified and for example, the door popper/actuators, these each are on their own fuse to where if there is an issue with one and it were to blow a fuse, then the other would or should still work.

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have most of my wiring going to a trunk mounted battery also. I've often wondered if it was worth it or not because it was expensive to do it correctly. I'd love to see pictures of your setup sometime if you're willing to share. Feel free to message or email. Thanks again for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts