Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Without getting into real specifics, and studying the wire diagram any harder then I already have, I'm fighting an up hill battle to see if I can trouble shoot the problem with my clock( it could be just broke tho). Right now it's plugged into the 'batt' terminal on the fuse box, along with what I believe is glove lite and 1 wire from the radio. I have to look again to see exactly what is plugged ito the accessory slot,(cig lighter maybe) but is this correct:confused: I also noticed that the 'ign' slot is empty:confused: thanks

·
6,502 Posts
The wire from the clock should go to the BATT terminal in the fuse block. I would check to make sure you have voltage on the wire as the fuse may be blown.
If you have power getting to the clock you might be missing or have a poor ground. The indash clock grounds through the mounting bolts on the speedometer/odometer housing. There should also be a ground from the housing to the underdash by the headlight switch.
Chances are real good that the clock is broken or needs service. I took one apart for my 74 and I fixed it by replacing a tension spring inside of it. If it is broken you may consider replacing the movement with a better one.

If you do take yours apart it may be like mine and inside there are a set of contact points that when closed energize a solenoid that pops an arm away from those points and this action winds up a spring inside the clockworks to allow the clock to keep time. This arm has a tension spring on it that when the clock is running the arm slowly comes back down to where the contact points close, energize the solenoid again and rewinds the clockwork spring. The clock does not always draw power like on digital radio's or if it was a quartz movement. The factory clock only draws power for a split second and then after some time elapses (maybe 15 minutes ?) then it draws some more power as it rewinds an internal spring.
Also inside the clock is a slotted adjustment to where you can make the clock keep time. If it's fast you twist it a tad one way and then 24-48 hours later recheck the time against a reference clock and if it's accurate it gets reasembled and put back in the dash. If it's running slow you twist the adjustment a tad the other way. You just have to let the thing run for long periods of time to check the accurracy and that's why it might be better to go with a quartz movement.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts