Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it common to make a 1st generation nova a full frame.....meaning welding a piece from the front to the rear? does this make the whole car more stable or is it for a car thats gonna see alot of the dragstrip?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I used the GW connectors and they fit PERFECT! Chevy 2 Only has great products as well so Im sure they would be a good choice too (as Greg mentioned).

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I mistakingly said I had a full frame once. And after re-thinking it no I dont. Ooops :eek: But I do have a solid rear frame and welded in some 2x4" connectors. I welded them into the floor till the floor kicked up around the kick panel then they continued on up to the original down kick from where the front frame bolts up, major welding on that section.. So its solid with the welding. But.... The front is still bolted up to the the body.. Maybe my weak point.

Just a seat of the pants check to see if the body was stiffened for me was to raise the rear or front end and place jack stands under the rockers at the center of the car and look for sag. Raising the front will give you more of an idea, car its HEAVY up front. Then let the jack down slowly and watch for the sag. On a stock nova it will bend, they are just simple uni-bodies. I saw this before I welded in the connectors.

After the connectors it was minor. The weight would settle down on the jack stands and the front would dip a lil, but that was the rear end rising, not the body flexing. I think the connectors are a good idea.

And the bolt in type are good too. Maybe not as stiff for body roll, but they give the rear end a solid connection for the fore and aft stresses, like for drag racing. As the rear end wants to separate itself from the car they transmit the force to the front. Instead of trying to buckle the body and pan. The pulling or pushing force will be taken up by the connectors. And thats for straight line torque control.

For the twisting I would recommend a welded in connector. With side ties from it to the rockers, preferably welded into the pan along the entire length. As the rear end tries to twist the body it will be held up by the solid connectors instead of the pan taking it all. If the body isnt able to twist you are gonna be stiffer off the launch, then you can tune the rear suspension. But there are so many guys that have tuned the car up as is, flex and all and they leave the line fast. But its always nice to see the flat car. Leaves like it was a solid plate of steel, no twisting.

But, any connectors are gonna help the car, uni-bodies??? A lil steel (connectors) goes a long way. JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts