Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'71. Small block 406, TH400 transmission, 3:73 gears and dual Flowmaster Super 44's.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I just joined the forum today. It's great to know there are resources out there for lovers of all things NOVA.
We purchased our first Gen-3 last fall, and I have an issue during fueling. It seems no matter what position I put the nozzle or how slow I pump my gas, I always get splash back during the process. I can never tell if I filled the tank completely. I'm thinking it's probably a ventilation issue, but I'm not sure how to check/fix the problem. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
Hi Marty . . . . . 1st thing . . . . . WELCOME to SNS , glad to have you here .

Then , would you think - that your gas tank may NOT be "venting" . . . . too let the 'air out as the gas is going in' . My 69 gas tank = does not puke out gas, until I get close too full ( then, it will ; if I'm not
careful) . I have replaced my gas tank CAP (with a new "vented gas cap = twice). It seems to me - - -
when I remove my gas cap . . . . I am still getting a RUSH of air coming out . (But, the car does run good) .

SO, go over here : "
TANKS Inc" , and check out their fuel tank "Vent & Roll-over valve" . . . . cheap enough.

and ,

may be = to fix u'r problem . . . . . . . ps - I think that I'm installing one on my car .

Other members may have another idea . . . . . "stay - tuned"

later ,
jim

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,337 Posts
I don't have an answer other than what Jim offered with venting. Not sure what kind of pump nozzles you have in WA but I could see it being a problem having a non vented tank and pumping fuel with a nozzle that has the vapor recovery boot like here in CA. If you do have those vapor recovery nozzles have you tried pulling the rubber recovery boot portion back as far as you can while fueling. I would think that problem would exist we many older car owners.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
Hey Mark ......................... we don't have those "recovery boot nozzles" here in / around Chino Valley .
Down in Phoenix area - - some stations have them .

Have you heard anything about " ASHFORK " . . . . this year ? May-be 'not going too happen this year'
(with the 'Covid going on') ............. bummer - too = I'm going 'crazy - with no cruise nights, around here.
I just heard that = NO "Watson Lake - Swap-Meet this year" , either . (local for us guys - - Swap Meet &
Car show) .
I just wanted too 'meet - up' ................ you know .............. later ,
jim

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,337 Posts
Ashfork is looking like it will cancel. The land owner is being cautious with getting people together.

·
Registered
'71. Small block 406, TH400 transmission, 3:73 gears and dual Flowmaster Super 44's.
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Then , would you think - that your gas tank may NOT be "venting" . . . . too let the 'air out as the gas is going in' . My 69 gas tank = does not puke out gas, until I get close too full ( then, it will ; if I'm not
careful) . I have replaced my gas tank CAP (with a new "vented gas cap = twice). It seems to me - - -
when I remove my gas cap . . . . I am still getting a RUSH of air coming out . (But, the car does run good) .

TANKS Inc" , and check out their fuel tank "Vent & Roll-over valve" . . . . cheap enough.

and ,

may be = to fix u'r problem . . . . . . . ps - I think that I'm installing one on my car .

later ,

and ,

later ,
jim
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
a little off your venting problem. as far as knowing when the tank is about full when fueling up, i go to a gas station off the beaten path (less traffic and other noise) and the reason i do that is so when the tank gets close to being full i can hear a change in the sound of gas entering the tank. i do have to be close and usually bent over near the gas filling nozzle.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,537 Posts
I used to get the gas "splash back". But now I just wait for my fuel level to reach 1/4 tank to refuel... and I only put in 12 gallons of gas and stop ( I then top off to the nearest dollar).
Upon start-up, my gas gauge needle goes to Full. Very basic procedure, but it seems to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts