Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using? I can only fill mine up to about half without it spilling out etc, etc. Ends up being a big mess. Couple of dents in the tank and I am guessing it is time for a new one.

Stainless or the OEM galvinized? I have heard to stay away from the offshore stuff.

Is the kit worth it? Tank, straps, fuel sender, etc. My sender seems to be working okay, but am not sure that the straps will come off in one piece.

Thanks.

Ray

·
Registered
373 Posts
what do you have to spend??? Stainless is the way to go but its expensive. but the normal replacement tank would go for around 130-150 bucks. I believe there is a company selling replacement look a like tanks but their stainless.

Is your car lowered??? is that why its spilling out???

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you have to spend??? Stainless is the way to go but its expensive. but the normal replacement tank would go for around 130-150 bucks. I believe there is a company selling replacement look a like tanks but their stainless.

Is your car lowered??? is that why its spilling out???
I have seen the stainless tanks, Ground Up has them. They have them for almost $300 just for the tank.

My car sits at stock height, but the tank looks like it has been banged a few times from underneath. I suspect a seam is letting go or there are pin holes from rust?

My experience from the aftermarket has been that most things are not quite as good as stock. The tank, I am guessing, is original which would make it 42 years old. I am just not sure that the stainless is worth twice as much.

Thoughts?

Ray

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I just got a standard replacement one from one of the aftermarket vendors, I believe it was Classic Industries or Goodmark, one of those. I've had mine sumped but retained the stock sending unit for use of the stock fuel gauge. Also had to buy a replacement vented gas cap specific to a 68 Nova. Since I did all that stuff, no fuel leaks and no fuel spilling out the back through the cap when I step on it.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you can get the nicer one I'd just spring for it. If your straps are ancient you might want to consider replacing those as well since they're obviously pretty important too, haha!

If your sending unit is functioning fine I'd just keep that. The straps can get weak over time from rust/corrision, etc so that might be a good idea to replace.

I just painted mine with RustOleum outdoor paint and its held up great, granted I dont drive it in bad weather anymore these days. No rust issues or leaking issues with mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts