Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this thread, but I need a venting gas cap to fit on a tank designed for a non-venting cap. I've got the wrong fuel tank and I need to vent it. I'm open to taking the tank out if needed, but if a venting cap could be found, it would be easiest. I've already tried a standard GM non-venting cap and it doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what does the venting cap look like? Is it the 1 thats stock on my car?
your 73 should have a non-venting gas cap.

Drilling a small hole might work. I would have to drill through the rubber seal too.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Curious what set up you are using. Sounds like maybe you have the EEC style tank and plan to eliminate all the extra lines and eec box and just get a vented cap...? I also have a 71 but bought the 70 tank and still need to get a vented cap. The 70 tank has only one or two fittings for lines, not the 4 or 5 from my old 71 tank. As far as your original question, my local NAPA has a slew of caps. I am sure one of them might do the job.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I originally had the tank with all the vent tubes and bought the correct pickup tube for that tank. I purchased the 71 tank without the tubes. I should have bought the vented pickup tube. That may still be my best option. I

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I just went thru this, I pulled my tank and capped off all the EEC tubes and added a vented cap, they are available at most parts places.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which cap did you get? The vent cap I bought wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
A lil off topic but I have a fiat spider that I removed all the vapor recovery stuff from, not smart, I should have kept it, it also vented the tank. So I needed to vent the tank. It has a locking gas cap that is sealed pretty well. I took the lock apart and found enough metal on the back part of the lock to drill a 1/16" hole through. Doesn't compromise the lock at all. Put it all back together and now it vents through the lock keyhole. And you really dont need much venting, a small 1/16" hole will keep the pump from sucking the tank in. And you cant even see any holes. JR

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Which cap did you get? The vent cap I bought wouldn't fit.
Never mind, I thought it was vented, guess not! I went to get gas and removed it, only to hear the deaded, Hhhhiiisss. Its now got a nice hole in the center of the cap:devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts