Chevy Nova Forum banner

fuel tank inst question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NovatoriusRex 
#1 ·
Im installing a new fuel tank and straps in a 67. does anyone kow where the anti squeek straps go?

There are two that are thin flat rubber about 2" x 24" and two that are about 1" by 24" and have lips on the edges that look like they would go on the straps but the edges with the lips rid eon the straps instead of over the edge holding the rubber on the strap. Then there is a foam piece about an 1/8 " thick and 3" x 5". :confused:

Help Please!!!

#2 ·
I got the same kit to put the tank back in my '62 and I swear it is just wrong. When I used the rubber with the shoulders on the straps it was really hard to tighten the straps up. I am going to take it back out and use Tough Pack on the top and nothing on the straps.

#3 ·
Here's my tank just before I stuffed it back in the car.

The tank straps were easy to glue in place. I used a bit of 3M weatherstrip adhesive, followed their instructions, and they stuck great. I made a small mistake mounting the wide straps though, hopefully it doesn't cause a problem.

I should have mounted them to the low area right next to the raised area they're sitting on. The upper straps touch the trunk pan somewhere near the front of the tank though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If I had to do it over again, I'd dry-fit the straps on top of the tank, maybe tape them in place, then lift the trunk up into its mounting position to see that the anti-squeak straps are riding on the trunk underside metal.

The anti-squeak straps that mount below the tank are going to be compressed pretty good when everything is tight, so I don't think I'd worry about any raised areas on them. Just attach them to the top of the lower strap and bolt them up. Once the tank is in place they aren't gonna go anywhere. :no:

I bought a kit off of Ebay that was pretty much just roofing tar paper, but it worked out OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.