Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to put a 72 front and rear on my 73 and was thinking about the fuel filler neck. Is there a way to modify the 73 filler neck or do I have to drop the tank and replace it? Could I cut the neck and put a piece of fuel resistant rubber with some T-bolt clamps on either side to adjust it down? What do you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Maybe your up for a challenge, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a 68-72 car? I know at least one member here that has a 72 roller for sale. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Maybe your up for a challenge, but wouldn't it be easier to just buy a 68-72 car? I know at least one member here that has a 72 roller for sale. Just wondering.

X2, sell it and buy the year you want.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It depends on what you want. I think the bumper mount hole for 72-73 are the same, but cross member on 73 goes under the filler neck rather than over like 72 and earler. This would need to be changed. also 73-74 the licence plate is used as a door over the filler neck,and is recessed in. Maybe when you remove the rear panel , if you leave the recess with a flange to spot weld to ,and use the mod. you referred to the filler neck.

·
6,557 Posts
On my 73 Nova Custom I installed a Chrysler pop open Fuel cap assembly and I bought fuel tank hose to couple the original cut down neck to the tube off of the Chrysler fuel cap. Luckily both tubes were the same size and to be on the safe side I doubles up the worm clamps and rotated them so the screw portions were 180 degrees apart from each other.

Anything can be done but it might be more work than what you think it is. I'm not saying you can't do it but plan ahead and it should come out just fine. Just don't expect to get 20 gallons of fuel into the tank after lowering the filler neck.

Do not use regular radiator hose to make the connection between the old neck and the new neck) or the modified end that got cut off and reused.

Thinking a little bit more you may want to add some bracing to hold the end of the steel tube filler neck that the gas cap screws onto so you are not relying on the rubber hose as much to keep it in position and solidly mounted.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts