Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well - ill go out on a limb and we all shall see how this goes.

I picked up two used stock tanks and will be cutting them up and piecing together a 19+ gallon tank for my 65. Stock pickup and sender, mechanical pump, crab'd motor.

My plan is to trim off the rear of one tank, just at the point it curves - about one inch worth, and then cut about four and a half inches from the rear of the second tank, remove and patch the filler tube. I'll also install some baffles while the tank is split in half, as the stock tanks do not have any baffles in them, then weld it all back together.

I've ordered the Por-15 tank repair system to clean out and seal the tank to catch any pin holes in my welds.

I'll then cut new strap mounting points closer to the axel and keep the stock mounting points by the rear bumper.

My budget should be under $200 when all is said and done.

I'll post picks as I go. Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
YUP!! Right up my alley. Im looking forward to the pics. IMO? car building is NOT all about buying off the shelf parts and bolting a car together. Its about actual building. And you cant build without welding or machining when it comes to metal cars.

There is building and assembling. I do both. I wish I did more building and less bolting up pre-fabed parts. JR

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is where I will start:

Bought one and was given one by my good friend John "The Flyer".. Thx John good spending some time with you today!!!

And just to give an idea of the planned trimming -cut off 1" from one and then about 4" from the other and then weld in the 4" section onto the first tank...

Tomorrow starts the cleaning phase.... Let the fun begin!!!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
LET THE GAMES BEGIN! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm committed now - in more ways than one ....
First tank with small cut - this will be the main portion of the new tank:

Not too bad - still need to wire wheel the inside:

Second tank

And my first test fit - real rough, but you'll get the idea:

I'm going to cut the fill hole on the new add on section and the same spot on the other side that has the complex bends and weld in a patch. Thus will ease the massaging of the metal and also let me deal with the angle / height dimension difference between the two halves (3/4" difference.

·
Registered
569 Posts
wow you have a lot of energy and patience!!

Wow..a lot of work you have undertaken there for that tank!! 3-4 more gals. Well one thing we will all run out on the big highway and you will be the guy to go to for more fuel.. way to go very interesting project..can't wait to see the bolt in up in car!! nice idea.. roid

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
BE CAREFUL GREG, BECAUSE MIG WELDING WILL LEAVE ALOT OF PINHOLES IN YOUR WORK AND THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL RUN INTO DIFFICULTIES WITH LEAKES AND YOU CAN'T USE A SEALER! IT'S GAS! :yes:
I THINK TIG WELDING WOULD SERVE BETTER HERE! :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
I mig welded the sump on my tank. Just need to go slow and carefull. Filled it with water and let it sit over night. No leaks. Dried it out completely and then I did seal it with one of those gas tank sealing kits just because I did not want to take any chances down the road. Eastwood makes a sealing kit, but I think I bought mine from Jegs or Summit. The stuff it clear blue. Clean the inside of the tank real good with acetone, dry it out, put in the sealer, swish it around for 30 minutes flipping the tank in every direction so the entire inside is coated, poor the excess sealer out and let it dry for 3-4 days. ezpezy:yes:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm debating on the welding - trying it on my own or seeing if I can get my oldest to weld it. Once it is all welded up I'll need to soder the filler neck back on - and might also solder over all the welds to fill any pin holes etc... I've noted small holes are repaired in this manner... then the tank sealer. I'll need to also create a mounting point on the front of the trunk pan - thinking about the same type of mount - cut into the support like stock and keep the stock rear location.. il also need to custom make the straps - think I'll get some that are longer and just trim them to fit. Spent today wire wheeling the inside of the two halves - seem to be in really good shape.

More pics to follow...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drop a LS in it then you won't be driving from gas station to gas station and the larger tank will not be needed.:devil:
Wait - I'm curious - I didn't think you had an LS motor.. doesn't your motor have some other designation.. I seem to remember something like an LM4 or ???.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::devil:

Nah - I like my old school motor:D

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Updated pics :
After the wire wheel

Though I'd add baffles - doubt I need them but figured they can't hurt and will add a little structure to the tank.

The baffles in the front section will sit just outside those on the back section - makes their install easier when the two halves go together..

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Though I'd add baffles - doubt I need them but figured they can't hurt and will add a little structure to the tank.

The baffles in the front section will sit just outside those on the back section - makes their install easier when the two halves go together..

Any thoughts?
uuuum... yeah... i think the cardboard will disintegrate and clog up the system :doh: :devil: :stir:

with all that work... why not sump it also Greg? ;)

lookin' good to me... everything. ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts