Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump is taking a crap on me. The car actually stalls on WOT sometimes. Restarts like starved for fuel and fuel pressure reads about 1.5 lbs. I was planning on redoing the fuel system from the tank to the carb next winter but obviously need to address it now. And there's no sense in putting another crappy mechanical pump on when I know I'm headed towards an electric one anyway. So I have a few questions.

I was thinking about a Holley Blue Pump. I noticed the in/outlets are 3/8 NPT. I then noticed that almost all the on race fuel pumps are 3/8 NPT. I was thinking about plumbing the system with 8-AN. Won't the 3/8 put a bottleneck in an 8-AN system?

I know there are charts that suggest up to 500 HP should use 8-AN. My motor is about 460 HP and I don't see it ever being more than that. I should be OK with a 6-AN, right? I'm hoping so since I already have 6-AN from my mechanical fuel pump to the carb.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Your gonna want to run 8AN line. I just installed a Blue pump and ran 8AN line everywhere. An 8AN fuel system with a few 6AN adapters is much better than a 6AN fuel system. With the money you will be spending on an eletric pump and 8AN line, replacing the short length of 6AN line with 8AN from your old mechanical pump to the carb shouldn't keep you from running a 8AN system. You will also need to run a regulator with the Blue pump (14psi).

Just MHO :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drive, I was afraid you'd recommend 8-AN. The other reason I wanted to use 6-AN is that I want to use a stock fuel tank. I don't have much in the way of fab skills and I wasn't looking forward to trying to convert the pick up to 1/2".

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
72Orange said:
Thanks Drive, I was afraid you'd recommend 8-AN. The other reason I wanted to use 6-AN is that I want to use a stock fuel tank. I don't have much in the way of fab skills and I wasn't looking forward to trying to convert the pick up to 1/2".
You can always get a AN to hard tube adapter and connect your AN line to that. Here's a 5/16" hard tube to 6AN adapter. You could use that and then an 8AN to 6AN reducer:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DriveWFO said:
You can always get a AN to hard tube adapter and connect your AN line to that. Here's a 5/16" hard tube to 6AN adapter.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

But help me understand this. Won't using a 5/16 or even a 3/8 (if I were to buy a new one) pickup defeat the purpose of using an 8AN line?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
check out the latest chevy high performance. they have all the info you need on this!! loads of great info!

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DriveWFO said:
While not ideal, I would think it would still be better than the stock line or running all 6AN line.
I guess so, as long as the fuel pump won't have a problem filling a 8-AN line sucking fuel through a 6-AN. That's my other concern.

I'll pick up this months CHP.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drive, did you run a return line with your Blue Pump? I don't think the regulator that comes with it is for return system. Just curious.

One thing I am worried about is that for now I don't want to replace the 5/16 pick up (but would like to replace in next winter with a 3/8), would it be a problem running a 8AN and sucking fuel through a small pick up? Any thoughts on that?

And I probably should suscribe to CHP instead of CC.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
72Orange said:
Drive, did you run a return line with your Blue Pump? I don't think the regulator that comes with it is for return system. Just curious.

One thing I am worried about is that for now I don't want to replace the 5/16 pick up (but would like to replace in next winter with a 3/8), would it be a problem running a 8AN and sucking fuel through a small pick up? Any thoughts on that?

And I probably should suscribe to CHP instead of CC.
Tom had posted pics on here of how he modified his sending unit to use 1/2" aluminum tube. I was in the process of doing the same thing to mine but it ended up being a waste of time. I had two many things in the way on the top of my sending unit to fit the 8AN bulkhead through it.

Not sure why I was hell-bent on keeping my stock gas tank :rolleyes: So, I installed a fuel cell with 8AN fittings in the sump. I am not running a return from the pump or the regulators (dead-headed).

I don't want to steer you the wrong direction with regards to your pick-up tube issue. Hopefully someone else on here can give you more insight on that.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to keep my stock tank. Maybe for now I will plumb 8AN and use the stock 5/16 pick up, then over the winter when I buy a new stock gas tank I will have a sump welded to the new tank that has 1/2 NPT fittings.

I'm just kinda talking out loud here as I think this thing through.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm changing my mind pretty much every 15 minutes with this.

I'm back to considering welding the sump to the bottom of a new gas tank again. Might as well do it right and do it once. Next week is the Englishtown Swap Meet, maybe I'll see what I can pick up there for the project.

So, I'm thinking.

New tank with sump with 1/2 NPT
8AN braided to filter
8AN braided to Holley Blue Pump
8AN up to the regulator
6AN to each of the front bowls

Seem reasonable?

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
72Orange said:
I'm changing my mind pretty much every 15 minutes with this.

I'm back to considering welding the sump to the bottom of a new gas tank again. Might as well do it right and do it once. Next week is the Englishtown Swap Meet, maybe I'll see what I can pick up there for the project.

So, I'm thinking.

New tank with sump with 1/2 NPT
8AN braided to filter
8AN braided to Holley Blue Pump
8AN up to the regulator
6AN to each of the front bowls

Seem reasonable?
Make sure a competant shop welds the sump on your tank...especially if you are talking about the tank that's already had gas in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts